Hello everyone, and welcome back to another edition of SB Week in Review. Here’s your final update for 2016:
- It’s Gayo week!
- The SBS Gayo Daejun took place on the 26th, featuring performances from many of the acts that promoted this year. Check out our writers’ highlights here.
- The KBS Gayo Daechukje took place on the 29th — keep an eye out for our review of the event!
- The MBC Gayo Daejejeon will be taking place on the 31st, and will be running into the new year — will you be watching?
- Psy used his recent concert in Seoul to refute any connection to the scandal-plagued Choi Soon-sil.
- Meanwhile, investigators are looking into the existence of an alleged blacklist of Korean artists.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Legend Uhm Jung-hwa is back with her ninth album, The Cloud Dream of the Nine.
- Jazz singer Lee Dong-woo has released his second album, Walking.
- S.E.S released the MV for “Paradise” ahead of the release of their 20th anniversary album, Remember, on the 2nd.
- I am in love with the sax in Seo In-guk‘s “BeBe.”
- Rania is back as BP (Black Pearl) Rania with a new line-up (and new stage name, in one case) under new leader Alex. Did they “Start A Fire” in your heart?
- Ricky Martin released an English version of “Vente pa’ca” featuring Red Velvet‘s Wendy.
- Dia sub-unit BinChaenHyunSeu released “You’re The Moon.” Second sub-unit L.U.B will be releasing their song “13th Month 32nd Day” on the 31st.
- Lunafly released new single “This Isn’t You,” which is apt since only two of the band’s alleged four members are featured.
- Jessi, Microdot, Dumbfoundead and Lyricks collaborated on “K.B.B.”
- NC.A and BtoB‘s Sungjae have teamed up for “Playing With Fire.”
- Super Junior‘s Heechul features on glam rock band Eve‘s new single, “Melody.”
- Our final Station release for the year is “Sound of Your Heart” from Steve Barakatt, Lee Dong-woo, f(x)‘s Luna, SNSD‘s Sunny, Red Velvet‘s Wendy and Seulgi, Super Junior‘s Yesung, and NCT 127‘s Taeil and Doyoung.
- Jessica released the dance practice for “Wonderland,” but with the English version of the song instead of the original Korean. The full English version of the Wonderland EP is also now on sale.
Teasers & Announcements
- AOA is preparing to go head-to-head with… themselves! “Excuse Me” and “Bing Bing” are both Brave Brothers songs, and will be out on the 2nd.
- Looks like Shinhwa‘s new MV will be a “Touch” angsty.
- Davii will also put out “Navigation” on the 3rd.
- AkMu‘s musical short film is coming out on the 3rd, too.
- Coincidentally, WJSN have “re-scheduled” their comeback from the 3rd to the 4th.
- Boy group TopSecret will be all about a “She” on the 4th.
- New 12-member Korean-Chinese boy group Varsity will be debuting on the 5th.
- Girl group Mixx will be dropping “Love is a Sudden” on the 5th.
- Vromance will be coming back on the 6th.
- No new teasers from JYPE, but I’m assuming Suzy‘s solo debut is still happening on the 7th unless I’m told otherwise. Day6, though, is definitely planning something.
- Vixx rapper Ravi will be releasing a solo EP, R.EAL1ZE, on the 9th.
- Sonamoo will also be making a comeback on the 9th.
- My girls Hello Venus will be making a comeback on the 11th!
- Dreamcatcher will be releasing Nightmare on the 13th.
- NCT 127 is gearing up for a comeback with new members Johnny and Doyoung. Who’s looking forward to Limitless? Can someone explain how the NCT units work?
- Unpretty Rapstar 3 contestant and former member of The Ark, Yuna Kim is planning to debut solo next year.
- iKon won Best new Artist at the 58th Japan Record Awards. Congratulations to the group!
- JYJ‘s Jaejoong and Super Junior‘s Sungmin successfully completed their military service this week. Fans welcomed back the idols with hashtags and merriment.
- The three networks also held their Entertainment Awards this week, with Yoo Jae-suk, Shin Dong-yup, and Kim Jong-min taking out top honours at MBC, SBS, and KBS, respectively.
- Exo is taking over Spotify‘s K-pop playlist to promote their new winter album, For Life. Click here to hear cute English intros from Kai, Suho and D.O! While you’re there, be sure to check out our Seoulbeats Mixtapes, too!
(Associated Press, Facebook, Instagram, Korea Times, SM Town, Sports Donga, Spotify, Twitter, Yonhap, YouTube. Images via: Mystic89, Happyface Ent., C-JeS Ent.)