Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- Another week, another digital chart controversy. This time around, singer Shaun‘s new track “Way Back Home” raised eyebrows when it maintained the top spot on both Genie and Melon.
- Following speculation, the Korea Management Federation (KMF) once again spoke up, demanding that the issue of chart manipulation be actively looked into.
- JYP and other companies also put out statements asking for investigations and arguing for fair treatment of artists on the charts.
- Veteran singer Yoon Jong-shin even chimed in on Instagram to suggest that music streaming platforms cater their interface to a user’s individual taste, and not just a Top 100 ranking.
- Nearly all major agencies have joined forces for the new content platform Music & Creative Partners Asia Co., Ltd. MCPA will focus mainly on music distribution through YouTube, similar to the platform Vivo.
- Following the leaking of G-Dragon‘s military hospitalization details and revealing Choi Ji-woo‘s husband’s identity, over 200,000 South Koreans signed a petition to shut down Dispatch.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out our playlist of all this week’s releases above!
- Seventeen said “Oh My!” with a new mini album, You Make My Day.
- Triple H returned with overwhelming visuals and retro sexy music in “Retro Future.”
- Mamamoo‘s latin-inspired “Egotistic” MV was a bit of a mismatch of sound and concept. The EP Red Moon also suffered in terms of cohesion.
- While Chungha‘s “Love U” MV was a tad on the generic side, the mini album Blooming Blue impressed our reviewer.
- Hyorin‘s “See Sea” MV also fell into the category of generic summer visuals, with the addition of soft focus and some twerking.
- Ladies’ Code Ashley made her solo debut with “Here We Are.”
- G Friend kept in line with the seasonal trend in “Sunny Summer.”
- In juxtaposition to his last release “I’m Not Afraid,” Holland declared “I’m So Afraid” in a follow up MV.
- Seungri came back with “1, 2, 3” and an MV featuring Anda – who recently signed with his YG subsidiary YGX.
- Luna shared her self composed song “Even if We Part Ways” through her YouTube series Luna’s Alphabet.
Teasers & Announcements
- 100% are beachy in the teasers for their Grand Bleu comeback on July 26.
- IN2IT are pulling out the disco moves for “Sorry for My English,” also due out on July 26.
- SF9 are gearing up for their fifth mini album Sensuous, with the promise of more video teasers to come.
- It’s finally Leo‘s turn for a solo album! Canvas is due out on July 31.
- After much teasing, YG finally confirmed that IKon will be back on August 2 with New Kids Continue.
- DIA have re-scheduled their comeback for August 9.
- BTS‘s final installment of the Love Yourself trilogy Love Yourself: Answer, will be out on August 24. Since the release coincides with the beginning of their world tour, the new album will not be promoted on music broadcasts.
- According to SM, Red Velvet will be back in early August and are already in the process of filming their comeback MV.
- Label-mates Super Junior have already finished filming their MV and will be back soon. Unfortunately, Heechul will be sitting this comeback out to focus on his health.
- While Papa YG’s been busy promoting Black Pink, he’s apparently been leaving CL on read. The singer commented on one of his Instagram posts this week with “What about me, boss?” And added the hashtag “Please respond to my texts.”
- Fans wished Kim Woo-bin a happy birthday this week. The actor is still on hiatus while battling nasopharyngeal cancer. We also extend our best wishes his way.
- Former Rania member Yumin and former Topp Dogg member P-Goon will tie the knot soon. Congrats!
- In contract news:
- Park Bom signed with agency D-NATION, which means she could be putting out new music soon.
- Yoo Jae-suk renewed his contract with FNC.
- Following his non-renewal with WM Entertainment, B1a4‘s Baro signed with acting agency Hodoo Entertainment.
- Fans in Europe might be happy to know that Music Bank is taking it’s broadcast to Berlin in September as part of the show’s world tour. Will any of your favorite artists be attending?
- Need a pick-me-up? Check out Amber & Friends “Fake Love” parody, “Bacon Love.”