Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review. Here’s all the news you might have missed:
(Please note that there is mention of death and suicide. If these trigger you, please skip the headlines. If you want to talk to someone, local helpline numbers can be found here)
- The #MeToo updates continue to pour in:
- MBC has fired three of its employees for abusing their power and sexually abusing against employees of outsourced companies. The investigations began as more confessions poured in as part of the #MeToo movement. MBC has claimed to dedicate themselves to eradicate sexual abuse by adopting a zero-tolerance stance towards abusers.
- Actor Jo Min-ki has been found dead in a suicide. After reports of him sexually assaulting students were brought forward, he was fired from his university and stepped down from his role in Children of the Small God. On March 9, he was found dead with a six-page suicide note. In the note, Jo Min-ki apologised for evading and denying the accusations, as well as to the university, the students, and anyone else who may have felt humiliated or ashamed. His entertainment company has only revealed a small portion of his letter, and kept the rest confidential.
- The CEO of Theatre Shinhwa, Kim Young-soo, and actor Han Jae-young were named in recent sexual harassment allegations. After the victim’s Facebook post gained traction, Han Jae-young personally got in touch with the victim to apologise. Soon after, the actor, his representative company and Kim Young-soo released official apologies.
- It has been revealed that Secret‘s Hyosung had filed a civil lawsuit against TS Entertainment on September 2017 with regards to her exclusive contract with them, and is unlikely to return. Apparently, the management has held back some of Hyosung’s payments, as well as transferred management rights to a third party without her consent. Hyosung had tried to settle the issues peacefully, but had to resort to a civil suit when TS Entertainment posed problems.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out our playlist above for a compilation of this week’s releases!
- BTOB‘s Ilhoon feels free in his solo debut music video now that “She’s Gone“.
- Mamamoo show off their gorgeous vocals in “Star Wind Flower Sun“. They also mesmerise in the “Starry Night“.
- J-Hope soars above his haters in “Airplane“, a track off his hit mixtape, Hope World.
- Wanna One expresses their gratitude for their fans and promises to be by their side in “I. P. U.“, a special theme track preceding their album release.
- Heize claims you don’t know her in “Didn’t Know Me“.
- EXO‘s Suho and Jang Jae-in ask “Do You Have a Moment” in a cute duet. The duo display their range of skills in a contrasting, groovy track: “Dinner“.
- Suzy collaborated with pianist Yiruma in the music video for “Midnight“, a track from her second mini-album, Faces of Love.
Teasers & Announcements
- Got7 dropped a video teaser for “Look”, a song off their mini-album, Eyes on You, which is set for release on March 12.
- Big Bang will be releasing a song, “Flower Road“, on March 13, featuring all five members. It was written with the thought of their upcoming enlistments.
- NCT‘s upcoming album will be titled NCT 2018 Empathy, and will include all 18 members of NCT across the various sub-units. It will be released at 6PM KST on March 14, followed by a showcase of the album 2 hours later via V Live.
- On the same day, NCT 127 will release “Touch”, and promote it March 15 onwards.
- UP10TION has teased their first full album, CANDYLAND, with a video teaser. The album is set to release on March 15.
- TVXQ will be returning to the scene with a full album on March 28.
- Samuel will be making a comeback on March 28 as well. One of his songs will be featuring BTOB‘s Ilhoon.
- iKon have been filming for a new music video, which is expected to drop sometime in early 2018.
- Eric Nam will be releasing new music via his 3rd mini-album in April.
- Super Junior will be returning with a repackage of PLAY sometime in April. While Siwon participated in the album, his involvement in the broadcasts and promotions are still in discussion.
- EXO-CBX is also preparing for a comeback in April.
- Oh My Girl‘s comeback will be sometime in April as well.
- Twice is rumoured to comeback on April 9, but JYP Entertainment has denied any confirmation of the date.
- A-Pink will drop a special single in April to commemorate their 7th anniversary.
- f(X)‘s Victoria will be releasing her first solo album, Victoria, which would be preceded by a pre-release track, “Roof on Fire”. The details remain unknown though.
- Stray Kids unveiled a trailer, “I Am NOT“, ahead of their debut.
- Some popular variety shows are undergoing some huge changes:
- Weekly Idol recorded their last episode with Defconn and Jung Hyung-don on March 7, guesting Monsta X and NCT, before they restructure the show.
- Infinite Challenge‘s first season is planned to end on March 31, with the entire cast leaving. The second season will have an entirely new cast.
- Big Bang‘s Daesung will be enlisting in the army on March 13, and Seungri after the release of his solo album. We wish them both a fruitful time!
- Dispatch has revealed a number of couples over the past week:
- Park Shin-hye and Choi Tae-joon have been dating for over a year.
- Lee Dong-wook and Suzy have been dating too.
- Contrary to popular belief, Kang Min-hee and Hong Sang-soo are still dating and have not broken up yet.
(YouTube. Naver:                         , Newsen, Osen, Channel News Asia, SBS Star Sports, Weibo, Twitter. Images Via: YG Entertainment, TOP Media)