Hello everyone, and welcome back to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s your news:
- Infinite‘s Woohyun revealed that a shoulder injury sustained during the 2014 ISAC is permanent, with the damaged cartilage expected to result in pain in later life. There are many tales of injury caused by ISAC, but to hear of the consequences of this particular injury is especially saddening.
- Bulldok‘s Hyeongeun has left the group, citing health reasons. The rapper, who had gained attention for her performance on Produce 101, had recently been involved in a controversy involving BTS, where she was accused of not using the appropriate honorifics when talking about the senior group during a livestream. BTS fans were also unimpressed by claims, relayed by Hyeongeun’s friend, that V had athlete’s foot or similar foot-related health issue due to his choice of footwear. Some have speculated that this was the reason behind Hyeongeun’s departure, while others claim the health reason is legitimate.
- It came to light that five-member boy band The Legend, had disbanded — but they did win their lawsuit against their agency, SS Entertainment, for maltreatment, beforehand.
- On a happier note, BTS became the first K-pop group to win the Top Social Artist award at the Billboard Music Awards this year with a record-breaking number of votes, also ending Justin Bieber‘s six-year winning streak in the process. Congrats to the group and fans!
Debuts & Comebacks
- Twice are back, but Signal hasn’t caught on as fiercely as the group’s past releases, with our reviewers puzzled over the MV’s direction and unimpressed with the album’s production.
- On the other hand, Vixx have found success with subtlety in “Shangri-La.”
- Roy Kim tries something different in his latest album, and our reviewer loved it!
- Dean collaborated with American singer Syd for “Love.”
- Dumbfoundead put out “Hyung” with a list of features from Simon D, Dok2, and Tiger JK.
- TheEastLight released “You’re My Love.”
- Pentagon pre-released “Beautiful,” produced by BtoB‘s Ilhoon.
- FNC Entertainment debuted a new band, Honeyst.
- Production team Forplay teamed up with Nine Muses‘ Kyungri for “Talk About You.”
- Cheeze put out new single “Be There.”
- The next Station song is “E-12” from Myron Mckinley Trio.
- K-pop Star 6 finalist Sohee put out “Spotlight,” a pre-release track for the debut of her Hunus girl group, Elris.
- Wrong Address worked with Crush on “Love is True.”
Teasers & Announcements
- Seventeen will be dropping mini album Al1 on the 22nd.
- On the 23rd:
- Beat Entertainment boy band A.C.E will debut.
- MAP6‘s third single, “Momentum,” will be out.
- The 24th sees Fiestar‘s Yezi release digital single “Anck Su Namum.”
- KNK will be shooting for the stars with their single album Gravity on the 25th.
- On the 29th:
- Sistar will be inaugurating the K-pop summer with a comeback on the 31st.
- We have a date for Chungha‘s debut: June 7th!
- Stellar has added a new member, Soyoung, to the line-up. Well, this news does mean a comeback is on the way.
- After her Station single last year, Hyoyeon will be the next Soshi to fully go solo. Look out for her debut mini this June!
- iKon are definitely coming back on the 22nd– YGE had taken down a previous teaser with the date, but it’s now confirmed.
- Kim Lip is the next Loona member to be revealed. She will be releasing two songs: “Eclipse” and “Twilight.” I wonder who picked those names.
- Woollim is ready to debut its new boy band, and they are called… Golden Child.
- Black Pink will be debuting in Japan shortly after their comeback in South Korea.
- XX Entertainment will be debuting girl group S.I.S sometime in the next two months.
- SHinee leader Onew has been cast in Age of Youth 2, and will star opposite Han Seung-yeon. Shinee-Kara reunion ahoy!
- Lovelyz had their first music show win this week, on SBS The Show. Congrats to the ladies!
- Monsta X continues to suffer injuries, most recently with Hyungwon‘s ankle. We wish the injured and full recovery. On a more positive note, the group also unveiled their new lightstick.
- After speculation about her prolonged absence, AOA‘s Choa informed everyone that she was just taking a pre-approved break from the spotlight, and was not using social media as part of the conditions for said break. She also, through FNC, denied dating rumours with a company CEO.
- Super Junior‘s Heechul took to Instagram to let everyone know that he is not an idol matchmaker, so stop leaving comments asking him to make your ship sail.
(Dispatch, Donga Ilbo, Ilgan Sports, Instagram, Instiz, Osen, Soundcloud, Star News, Twitter, Xsportsnews, YouTube. Images via: Fantagio, Twitter)