As we wrap up July, here is what you need to know going into August:
- Remember how the Japanese government agreed to set up a fund for WWII sexual slavery survivors, also known as comfort women? This week saw the launch of that fund — but it was met with strong protest from survivors and their supporters, who say they were not consulted before the agreement was made. A condition of the agreement, calling for the removal of the comfort women statues outside the Japanese Embassy in Seoul, is also a point of contention.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Rapper #Gun dropped the MV for “Beep,” replete with human props. Guess who they are. Crucial Star features on this Giriboy-produced track.
- Meanwhile, Microdot used city landscapes to decorate “Auckland City” and “Hella Trill.”
- Embattled rookie girl group D.holic released the MV for “Color Me Rad.” The group is apparently on the brink of disbandment, so maybe check out this EDM offering if you aren’t bothered by flashing visuals.
- Electroboyz have teamed up with Brave Brothers and Seo In-young for “Sunglasses.”
- I am loving the MV for Unicorn‘s “Blink Blink,” but be careful — there are a lot of flashing lights.
- The artists of Brand New Music have come together to tell us to “Respect The Name.”
- Topp Dogg member Jenissi released his a solo digital EP, True Be Honest.
- Mnet‘s new idol dance show Hit The Stage debuted this week, featuring performances from Sistar‘s Bora, Twice‘s Momo, Block B‘s U-kwon and NCT‘s Ten. It’s great to see this resurgence in idol dance shows!
- This week’s Station release is a Coca Cola CF with NCT 127.
Teasers & Announcements
- And next week’s Station release will celebrate SNSD‘s anniversary.
- YG has announced that new girl group Black Pink will be debuting next Monday, August 8.
- And if that falls through, there’s always that B.A.P comeback, which will follow the group’s finale concert for their 2016 world tour.
- Oh and Ikon is releasing a song or something. I don’t know, ask YG.
- Before that, though, is sub-unit Nine Muses A on the 4th!
- The now-13 WSJN will be making a ‘secret’ comeback in August.
- Do you hear that? That’s the sound of Nabeela celebrating the announcement of 2PM member Jun.K‘s Korean solo.
- Oh My Girl has dropped the MV teaser for summer single “A-ing.” Apart from an empty swimming pool, Skull and Haha will also be featuring… Between that, the dreamcatchers, and OMG’s ‘curry-dol’ media play during “Windy Day” promotions, I’m going to be very cautious about this.
- Baek A Yeon will be dueting with … Someone, from JYPE.
- INX is set to debut with “Alright.”
- Up10tion dropped the first teaser for “Tonight.”
- Jannabi also dropped a teaser for “Summer.”
- It seems that Hyuna comeback is back on — but A’wesome will be a mini and not a full-length album.
- Meanwhile, her
formerTrouble Maker partner Hyunseung will be appearing on Hit The Stage. I thought it would be a while before we saw him again, so I’m happy.
- Speaking of Cube, co-founder Hong Seung-sung announced his departure from the company. This news comes after speculation of a power struggle between Hong and current CEO Park Chung-min that may have led to 4Minute‘s disbandment.Hong had stepped down as CEO due to his ALS diagnosis, but was still involved in the company’s activities.
- A fan-made fantasy group of Produce 101 contestants who didn’t make the final cut is now becoming reality. Loen Entertainment announced that DSP‘s Yoon Chae-kyung, Music Works‘ Kim So-hee, Lee Hae-in, Star Empire‘s Han Hyeri, and Lee Soo-hyun are recording a project release under the name I.B.I.
- Minzy has opened a Facebook page — looking forward to seeing what she has planned!
- JYJ will be holding their annual membership week this year. Yoochun is still carrying out his military service, but C-JeS has announced that he will not be part of the festivities due to the recent police investigation.
- Lee Soo-man has announced that SM artists and staff will be attending a company conference in Hawaii this August. That’s nice, but seeing NCT has me a bit worried about whatever else they may cook up.
- Exo will be dropping their repackage version of Ex’act on August 19.
- And Shinee‘s making a comeback in Aug — WAIT WHAT?!
- SHINEE’S COMING BACK
- Big Bang held their 10th anniversary concert in Seoul.
- SHINEE IS ALSO STARTING A NEW TOUR ALONGSIDE THEIR COMEBACK OH MY GOD
- A LA Weekly interview with Somi in the lead up to Kcon LA has been leaving readers more upset than elated, for a variety of reasons. Some believe that she is taking attention away from other I.O.I members, while others aren’t impressed with Somi’s European-White heritage (her father is Dutch-Canadian) being used as a way to make the topic of K-pop more “relatable” to Americans — well, the ones that matter.
- SHINEE MADE YES24 CRASH AND TREND ON TWITTER BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS TRYING TO BUY CONCERT TICKETS
- T.O.P has taken his passion for art to Sotheby’s and will be curating for them.
- SHINEE’S BACK BACK BACK BACK
- A follow up to last week‘s explosive comments from a Produce 101 PD — said PD has apologised his comments, saying that he was misunderstood when he said the show was conceptualised as ‘wholesome porn.’
- SHINEE. IS. COMING. BACK.
(BizEnter, Facebook, Ilgan Sports, Insight, Instagram, Korea Herald, LA Weekly, Money Today, Native Appropriations, Osen, Sports Donga, Sports Seoul, Sports World, Star News, TV Report, Twitter, YG Entertainment, YouTube. Images via: WM Ent., Kyodo, Mnet, Cube Ent., SM Ent.)