Perhaps the biggest story of the week in the K-popiverse (other than a country in the North threatening to nuke some of us-why Hawaii?) was the love that blossomed between Gag Concert comedians Shin Bora and Kim Ki-ri as they announced that they are officially dating and have been going out since December.
The following are some of the news and events that blossomed the past week in Korean entertainment.
- The blossoming come backs of the week came from: ELECTROBOYZ with “Ma Boy 3“, Lunafly released their album Fly to Love, Sunny Hill and DAYBREAK prove that “Love Actually” is a bit funny, former U-KISS member Allen Kibum made his solo come back with “Longing, Davichi sang “Be Warm” featuring Verbal Jint, Jay Park released “1HUNNIT” featuring DOk2, and K.Will sang of a “Love Blossom.”
- And we had the debut of GI (Global Icon), who are being labeled as a ‘tomboy’ girl group. Wasn’t expecting much, especially after hearing that their whole concept was around being ‘tomboys.’ But their debut release of “Beatles” was a pleasant surprise and there wasn’t much that I didn’t like about the heavy hitting MV or song. They remind me of a female B. A.P.
- C.N. Blue made their Japanese come back with the release of the PV for “Blind Love.” Love the way they shot the PV with shadows and profiles of the boys.
- Next week’s big come backs include BTOB, Seo In-guk, MIB and Brown Eyed Girls’ Gain in a duet with Birth of a Great Star singer Hyung-woo.
- Zion T‘s first full length album, Red Light, drops on April 9th with 11 songs. The title track is “Babay” featuring Dynamic Duo‘s Gaeko and has already received support from some Big fans.
- PSY‘s long awaited come back concert is on April 13th in Seoul. It was announced that his come back song will be “Gentleman” and the MV will feature BEG’s Ga-in and the whole Infinity Challenge cast: Yoo Jae-suk, Noh Hong-chul, Park Myung-soo, Jung Jun-ha, HaHa, Jung Hyung-don and Gil. (Newsen)
- 2AM will host the April 13th episode of Saturday Night Live Korea. They’re the third idol group to host the show following appearances by the Brown Eyed Girls and Super Junior. Seeing as how the episodes for BEG and SuJu were hilarious, I’m totally looking forward to what 2AM has to offer. I wonder if it will be awkward since Jay Park is a cast member on the show?
- Kang Ho-dong‘s new variety show has finally got a name and a full fixed cast. It’s called Barefoot Friends and the cast includes Kang Ho-dong, Yoon Jong-shin, Yoo Se-yoon, Kim Hyun-joong, Eunhyuk, UEE, Kim Bum-soo, and Yoon Shi-yoon. It’s being helmed by the PD from Family Outing–it would be great if he can recreate the same kind of magic. (hankooki)
- SHINee‘s Minho will also be in a new variety show called Mamma Mia along with female MCs Park Mi-seon and Lee Young-ja. The show will have celebrities bring their moms on the show to talk about their lives from childhood to the present day. Comedian Park Kyung-lim will be the first guest. Mamma Mia will replace the cancelled Qualifications of Men which had it’s last episode on March 31st.
- And there were tears all around as actor Kim Seung-woo made his departure on 1N2D on the March 31st episode. The episode also marked the departure of PD Choi Jae-hyung, with a new PD, Lee Sae-hee, and member actor Yoo Hae-jin. (hankooki)
- K-drama That Winter, The Wind Blows ended this week with good ratings, but not the great ratings hoped for with return of Jo In-sung and Song Hye-kyo to the small screen.
- New dramas that debuted this week included: KBS‘ Monday-Tuesday drama God of the Workplace a rom-com starring Kim Hye-soo and Oh Ji-ho; All About My Romance, a Wednesday-Thursday political rom-com for SBS starring Shin Ha-kyun and Lee Min-jung, and When A Man Loves MBC‘s new Wednesday-Thursday melo starring Song Seung-hun and Shin Se-kyung.
- Actress Park Shin-hye has been cast to star opposite of Lee Min-ho in his next K-drama, Heirs, scheduled to broadcast this fall. The writer is Kim Eun-sook, who wrote the hits Secret Garden and A Gentleman’s Dignity, so this drama definitely needs to be added to the ‘Must Watch’ list. (JoyNews24)
- Another for the list is a high school K-drama starring Yeo Jin-gu and Kim So-hyun, starring–as in they’ll be the leads for the WHOLE drama, not just as the younger selves of the leads. Nothing is confirmed as of yet, but the possibilities look good. (Newsen, HeraldCorp)