Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Chuseok holidays are right around the corner, which means a lot of comebacks before the long holiday. Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- It’s been revealed that DJ Joy was assaulted earlier this month. She sustained seirous injuries to her face and is recovering. A police investigation into the assault is underway, though the attacker has not been arrested.
- Year-end awards season is beginning. Soribada Best K-Music Awards were held this week, with Twice, Wanna One, G-Friend, B.A.P., Red Velvet, and more all receiving Bonsang awards. Exo took home the physical Daesang as well as the New Korean Wave Popularity Award. Twice won the digital Daesang.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out all this week’s releases in the above playlist!
- BTS‘ “DNA” became the fastest K-pop MV to reach 50 million YouTube views. Our reviewer dug into the subtext of virtual reality and human relationships in the MV review.
- IU‘s remake album, A Flower Bookmark 2 topped the charts along with the single “Autumn Morning.” What did you think of the MVs for “Sleepless Rainy Night” and “Last Night Story“?
- Sechskies made their long awaited full album comeback with Another Night, and two MVs for “Smile” and “Something Special.”
- Teen Top‘s Niel asks “What’s Good?” in his latest solo MV.
- Loona unit Odd Eye Circle impressed our reviewer with “Girl Front.”
- April said “Take My Hand” in their comeback MV.
- BP Raina are back with “Breathe Heavy.”
- Eunkwang‘s “One Day” was a bit too familiar for our reviewer.
- Ryu Jun-yeol released “How” produced by Philtre.
Teasers & Announcements
- Epik High will return with a new album after three years! The release will be accompanied by the comeback concert, We’ve Done Something Wonderful.
- B1a4‘s “Rolling” MV teaser has some promising aesthetics.
- He may have had to sit out “Power” promotions, but Exo‘s Lay will return with his second solo album Need soon.
- Rookie group JBJ released some creative concept teasers for Come to Life. Their official debut will come on October 18.
- Freshly out of the military, TVXQ‘s Yunho and Changmin will be releasing the solo singles “Drop” and “A Different Life” (respectively) through SM Station.
- DIA‘s Yebin and Somyi will release the special duet, “Seorak Mountain in October” on September 28.
- N’uest W will make yet another comeback on October 10. Check out the teasers for Here.
- YG attempted to appease fans with a teaser clip of iKon‘s upcoming MV.
- SF9 will return in October with a new MV.
- Based on the short video “7 of 7” posted to their YouTube channel, we might be expecting a Got7 comeback on October 10.
- K.Will‘s returning to celebrate his tenth debut anniversary with Part 1. Nonfiction.
- Block B‘s PO‘s “MEN’z NIGHT” teasers look dapper.
- TS Entertainment‘s new boy group TRCNG is set to debut on October 10 with New Generation. But how do you say their name?
- Casting news:
- Suits is the latest western drama to get a Korean remake. Jang Dong-gun and Park Hyung-sik will star in the KBS adaptation airing in 2018.
- Sunmi, Rain, and Hyuna will participate as mentors on The Unit. As for participants, the list of idols continues to grow with members from AJAX, Sonamoo, and recently debuted soloist I all joining the cast.
- F(x)‘s Amber will make her American acting debut in the film The Eagle and the Albatross. She also shared a cover of “I Want Happiness” to her personal YouTube channel.
- A Pink‘s Naeun will try her hand at the horror genre with Woman’s Wail.
- Exo’s Baekhyun, Wanna One‘s Kang Daniel and Ong Sungwoo, B1a4’s Jinyoung, Super Junior‘s Henry and others will participate in the new SBS variety Master Key.
- JYP is launching another survival show program, this time for a new boy group. Stray Kids begins airing October 17 on Mnet.
- YG is also getting in on the survival show market with Mix Nine for JTBC.
- Jo Kwon has decided to part ways with JYP after sixteen years with the agency. Much like with the other recent JYP departures, there appears to be no bad blood between the singer and the agency.
- After accidentally posting photos of them together on her social media account, FT Island’s Minhwan and Laboum’s Yulhee confirmed their relationship.
- VIXX‘s Leo was hospitalized for stomach pains and will be taking a brief break from activities. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
- ZE:A‘s Taehun and Junyoung have left Star Empire.
- AkMu‘s Chanhyuk began his military service this week.
- KCON Australia was held this week. Did any readers make it out to Sydney to see some of their favorite groups?