Hello everyone, and welcome back to SB Week in Review. Here’s what you need to know before the weekend is over:
- After almost three years, the sunken Sewol ferry has finally been raised from its watery grave. The wreck will be examined to determine what exactly went wrong, and hopefully also resolve the fate of nine passengers still listed as missing.
Meanwhile, in the world of entertainment:
- After some back-and-forth and a lot of uncertainty, MBK confirmed that two members, Soyeon and Boram, will be leaving T-ara and the company as they embark on the next chapter in their lives. The announcement comes ahead of the group’s upcoming album, 666, which will now be the group’s last in its original line-up.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out the week’s releases with our handy playlist!
- IU began her promotions with the pre-release single “Through The Night.”
- Our favourite mid-year debut of 2015, BgA, have returned! Did you K-poopers like the things they got right with this comeback?
- Former Glam leader Jiyeon has been re-incarnated as solo singer-songwriter Lucy. Did you like “B-Day,” featuring Kisum?
- Pledis‘ long-awaited girl group Pristin finally debuted with “Wee Woo,” but our reviewer felt the group just missed the mark — what did you think of the debut?
- The group formerly known as Beast is back as Highlight! Our reviewer appreciated the sentiment behind new single “Plz Don’t Be Sad,” but was not a fan of the executuion.
- CN Blue are back and our reviewer enjoyed their new album — how about you?
- Monsta X concluded their Clan trilogy with a new mini, which our reviewer felt was blah.
- J-Min confirmed that she’s “Alive” and well , popping up on SM‘s YouTube channel with a ballad.
- Former Fiestar member Cheska released “Faded,” featuring Ja Mezz.
- Phantom‘s Sanchez dropped “5 More Minutes,” featuring Beenzino.
- Mad Clown and Suran teamed up for “Love is a Dog from Hell.”
- Taeyeon‘s “Cover Up,” from her first full album My Voice, was used to create a lyric/behind the scenes MV.
Teasers & Announcements
- Girl’s Day are finally back on the 27th!
- SM’s Station season 2 will be kicking off on the 31st with Red Velvet‘s “Would U.”
- Oh My Girl will be coming back on the 3rd with Coloring Book. JinE will be sitting out these promotions while she continues treatment for anorexia.
- New boy band Black6ix will be debuting on the 7th.
- Teen Top will be returning on the 10th with High Five.. Because, y’know, there are five of them now.
- Dynamic Duo‘s Gaeko continues to tease his next solo album.
- Twice‘s Japan debut will be on June 28, and they will be holding a showcase on July 2 as well!
- G-Dragon seems to be hinting at writing music for Black Pink.
- Goo Hye-sun left her role in the currently airing drama, You Are Too Much. After being rushed to hospital for anaphalaxis, the actress decided to heed medical advice and take time off for treatment. Since there is no China broadcast deal, You Are Too Much is currently being filmed via the usual live-shoot system. With only six episodes aired, actress Jang Hee-jin will be taking on Goo’s role for he remainder of the show.
- S.E.S‘ Bada tied the knot this week — congrats to the singer and her new businessman husband!
- Actress Kim Go-eun split from actor Shin Ha-kyun, and her agency had to quell rumours of Goblin co-star Gong Yoo being the reason behind the break-up.
- And there have been a ton of concerts happening this week, in areas that have started to be frequented by K-pop acts. I guess the China ban has a silver lining, for us non-Chinese international fans, at least. Keep an eye on Seoulbeats for our concert reviews in the coming days and weeks!