Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- Say goodbye to some awesome music for a while. Zico will be enlisting in the military on July 30.
- The Seoul Central District Court has dismissed Choi Jong-hoon‘s appeal and upheld his sentence — an already inadequate one year in prison, suspended for two years of probation, and 80 hours in a sexual violence rehabilitation program.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Girls’ Generation‘s Hyoyeon deserved “Dessert” in a slightly strange comeback featuring (G)i-dle’s Soyeon and Loopy. Our writer found it to be a delectable concoction.
- Jeon Somi hated her innocent phone in her fun comeback with “What You Waiting For“.
- Lee Hi is back! Now with AOMG, she released the beautiful and heartfelt “Holo“. Wishing her the best in this new leg of her career!
- Former Produce 101 and Mixnine contestant Heo Chanmi, debuted as a soloist under FirstOne Entertainmet with “Lights“.
- Mont sang about feeling lethargic and needing a vacation in “Lethargy“. The song heads their mini album Aqua Tape and has been written by member Roda.
Teasers & Announcements
- Back from military service, Highlight‘s leader Yoon Doojun will be releasing the mini album, Daybreak, with five songs, on July 27.
- Ateez have been releasing intriguing concept and storyline teasers for their upcoming album ZERO : FEVER Part. 1, scheduled for July 29.
- Jessi will release a mini album titled Nuna, with six songs, on July 30.
- Kang Daniel will be releasing Magenta on August 3.
- Also returning on August 3 are (G)I-dle, with a new single titled “Dumdi Dumdi“.
- Rocket Punch return on August 4 with Blue Punch.
- YG Entertainment‘s newest boygroup, Treasure, will finally debut on August 7.
- April have been releasing summery, individual teaser videos in anticipation of their upcoming summer single, “Hello Summer“, scheduled for sometime at the end of the month.
- Super Junior‘s Kyuhyun has begun a new, year long project titled PROJECT : 季” (Project : Season) through which he will release a new song for each season beginning with this summer with “Dreaming“. At the time of writing, the date of release has not been announced.
- RBW Entertainment, home to Mamamoo, Oneus, Onewe and Vromance, will be debuting a new girl group called Purple K!ss.
- WKS ENE and XX Entertainment‘s new girl group Botopass, which contains three former members of ILuv, has postponed its debut following bullying accusations by former ILuv member Minah.
- Botopass’s agency has denied the accusations as being nothing but “groundless rumors”, released a lengthy statement in defense of the members and promised to take legal action against Minah. In response, Minah has stood her ground on the accusations.
- Mnet released a video announcing the launch of Show Me The Money, season 9.
- April‘s Naeun was also caught up in a bullying controversy after a post on Nate Pann accused her of being a bully back in school. The post was soon deleted however, and two days later, the poster posted an apology and clarified that everything stated earlier had been false. DSP Media, April’s agency, has denied the allegations.
- The Korea Communications Standards Commission has decided to impose fines on CJ ENM for the Produce series vote manipulation controversy. In their statement, the Commission referred to the controversy as a “stain on Korean broadcasting history”.