Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- Seungri, Jung Joon-young and Choi Junghoon were all booked this week for the distribution of illicit and illegally filmed videos. Here’s all the additional details we know from this week:
- Prosecutors revealed that at least eight singers were part of the chatroom where Jung Joon-young shared secretly filmed footage of women. His case was also forwarded to prosecution this week, with additional videos being found on his phone. Our writer took a deeper dive into the molka epidemic in South Korea and it’s relationship to fandom, which you can check out here.
- Choi Junghoon and two police officers’ houses were searched this week following reports that the singer bribed police back in 2016 to avoid charges in his drunk driving scandal.
- After claiming he was merely an unwilling third party to the spread of hidden camera videos in group chats, Seungri changed his tune this week. In addition to being booked for illegally sharing molka footage, the singer admitted to sharing but not filming the content.
- The police officers who lead the initial investigation into the Burning Sun assault case are now under investigation for misconduct.
- A woman also came forward to testify about possibly being drugged at Burning Sun.
- With new details and charges coming out every day, it’s hard to keep up. So bear with us while we give weekly updates and expect more critical and comprehensive coverage once things settle down. In the meantime, check out our Roundtable on the Burning Sun scandal and its larger context in both K-pop and Korean Feminism.
Debuts & Comebacks
- We have a lot of debuts and collaborations to keep track of this week. Don’t worry, they’re all included in the playlist above!
- Exo‘s Chen just made his solo debut with “Beautiful Goodbye” and the album April, and a Flower.
- Holland‘s love fell apart in the MV for “Nar C.”
- Our reviewer appreciated the maturity of Stray Kids‘ Clé 1 : Miroh.
- Lee Woo released the official MV for his debut song “Today of the Past” featuring Gugudan‘s Haebin.
- New artist Sohlee teamed up with NCT‘s Taeil for “Purple.”
- NCT’s Doyoung covered IU‘s “Dear Name.”
- Yoon Mirae and Rocoberry came together for “Don’t Forget Me.”
- Minho singing his own solo track “I’m Home” in a crisp suit? Thank you, SM Station.
- Block B Bastarz came back with “Help Me.”
- Monsta X and Steve Aoki decided to “Play it Cool” in their new collaboration MV.
- 1Team debuted with “Vibe” and some adorable pastel suits.
- KARD‘s “Bomb Bomb” impressed our reviewer with its sensuality.
- Pentagon made their return with “Sha La La.” Kino will be sitting out promotions due to an injury.
- Park Jihoon compared his lover to a rose in his debut track “O’ Clock.”
- JBJ95 were “Awake” for their latest release. Our review will be out soon!
Teasers & Announcements
- Black Pink are ready to Kill this Love on April 5. What are your thoughts on the concept photos so far?
- Map of the Soul: Persona is coming on April 12, and RM kicked off the teasers this week with an MV filled with throwbacks for Army to enjoy.
- Brand New Music is gearing up to debut their new boy group, AB6IX.
- 1the9 — the debut group from MBC’s Under 19 – have begun to share member teasers.
- New girl group BVNDIT will debut on April 10.
- Director Kim Ki-duk — who was accused of sexual misconduct and coercion by an unnamed actress in 2017 — has sued MBC and the woman for 1 billion won sighting false reporting and damages. Kim previously admitted to assault charges in 2018, but was cleared of sexual assault charges due to a lack of evidence in the case.
- A woman came forward accusing SS501‘s Kim Hyungjun of sexual assault back in 2010. Kim’s side maintains that the encounter was consensual and that Kim is being targeted because he is a celebrity.
- Though she canceled her “Me Too” press conference, Mary Lee has continued to share instances of the sexual assault she experienced in the Korean entertainment industry.
- Infinite‘s Sungyeol enlisted this week. Wishing him all the best.
- Suzy and JYPE parted ways on good terms.
- On the flip side, Kang Daniel‘s request to terminate his contract with LM Entertainment will undergo court questioning on April 5.
- After another week of heavy news, allow me to suggest taking a look at the new BTS dolls for a healthy giggle.