At times the words “I Like You,” “I Love You,” “I Miss You” just aren’t enough so we try to use other things–a token, a gesture, a picture to try and convey our feelings. But there are times when even ‘more than words’ are not enough–especially when the one you want to see your heart–just can’t or won’t.
Here are some of the top news that happened last week in the K-popiverse.
- It was a pretty good MAMAs this year, what was your favorite moment, performance, look?
- SNSD‘s maknae Seohyun donated a 100 million won scholarship to her school, Dongguk University, to help students that would otherwise have to quit due to not having the funds. (NewsAsia)
- Monday Kiz‘ Lee Jin-sung married his girlfriend of the past ten years, who is not a celebrity, on November 23rd in Seoul. (MyDaily)
- Gag man Jeon Young-joon passed away this week after he was involved in a motorcycle accident. His motorcycle crossed the center line and hit an oncoming taxi in the early morning of the 21st. he was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was part of the ensemble for SBS‘ Gag Tonight. (YTN)
- In more K-pop entertainment merger news, it was revealed that Loen entertainment is in the process of acquiring Starship Entertainment, the company that manages the likes of Sistar, K.Will and Boyfriend. (MoneyToday)
- MBLAQ‘s G.O dropped his latest solo effort “Play That Song” featuring Yiruma, Electoboyz got “Busted“with C-luv, Phantom dropped a ‘Naked’ version MV for their song “New Era“–wait you mean more naked than the other one?, Wassup made their comeback with “Nom Nom Nom,” Odd Eye released their latest “Never,” the almost 100% brand new Blady try to make it as “Blood Type B Girls,” K-girls debuted with “Fly High,” and A-JAX are a bunch of boy scouts in “Stay With Me.”
- 2NE1 sneaked in their November comeback with the wistful “Missing You.”
- VIXX ventures into the dark arts with “Voodoo Doll.” The song can definitely put you under its spell and the MV–is a bit gross.
- Dynamic Duo belatedly MVs for two songs from their 7th album LuckyNumbers which came out back in July. The MVs were for “Hot Wings” which features Sistar‘s Hyorin and “Three Dopeboyz” featuring Zion T.
- K-pop Star 2 finalist Shin Ji-hoon released her second single “Hurtful.” The song was written by Brave Brothers and really complements her voice.
- San E had his “Break Up Dinner” featuring Phantom‘s Sanchez.
- 100%‘s first sub-unit effort, 100%V, released a nice little ballad “Missing You.”
- History will be asking fans “What Am I To You,” YB and Lena Park teased “December,” the Tasty twins are going to show us their differences in “Day ‘n Night,” 2AM teased their return with their 3rd mini album Nocturne and a clip of the MV for their title track “Regret,” looks like Sistar‘s Hyorin is more than willing to take Chilbongie if Na-jung doesn’t in the teaser for her newest solo release “One Way Love,” and Younha released a beautiful winter wonderland-y teaser for “It’s Okay.”
- Hi.ni contributed “Can’t Have You” to the Reply 1994 OST, Wax sang of a “Love Wind” for the Empress Ki OST, JYP Entertainment‘s yet to officially debut rookie boy band 5Live sang “Lovely Girl” for the Pretty Man OST, Choi Jin-hyuk contributed “Don’t Look Back” to the OST of his drama The Heirs, 4Minute‘s Jihyun and Jiyoon sang “OnlyYou” for the OST of Jihyun’s mobile drama Please Remember, Princess starring Jihyun and Infinite‘s Sungyeol.
- This week the Jang Geun-suk and IU drama Pretty Man debuted in the time slot that Secrets recently departed. Seems like a typical K-drama, but wasn’t terrible. With the departure of Secrets, the ratings for The Heirs skyrocketed to over 20% putting it in the #1 spot for Wednesday/Thursday dramas for the first time.
- The biggest news in K-variety was the debut of K-pop Star 3, minus BoA and plus Yoo Hee-yeol. What did y’all think of Yoo Hee-yeol’s judging skills? And the talent revealed so far this season? In other K-pop Star news, K-pop Star 2‘s Park So-yeon, who was a member of group YouU recently signed with Loen Entertainment.
- The follow up to Na PD‘s sleeper hit K-variety show on tvN, Grandpas Over Flowers has finally announced a debut date. Noonas Over Flowers will star Lee Seung-gi as the tour coordinator/bell boy/door mat to four older female actresses Yoon Yeo-jung, Kim Ja-ok, Kim Hee-ae and Lee Mi-yeon with their travels taking them to Croatia. The show will follow Reply 1994 on Friday nights giving tvN a nice little one-two punch starting this week. (TVReport)
- Mnet announced that it will debut a new composer survival program called Super Hit with Yoon Jong-shin as the MC and producers Duble Sidekick, Don Spike and Yoon Il-sang as judges. The winner will have the opportunity to participate in Park Jae-jung‘s album (the winner of Superstar K5), a cash prize of 30 million one and be signed with CJE&M’s Music Creators’ Camp for a year. (Newsen)
- tvN also premiered a new variety show Island Village Teachers which stars some well known foreigners in Korea: Australian Sam Hammington of Real Men, Busker Busker‘s drummer Brad who’s from the US, Abigail who was on the panel of Global Talk Show (aka Chat with Beauties or Misuda) who is from Paraguay and Sam from Ghana. The show basically takes these four,puts them in a rural island villages for five days where they help teach English to the children there while also discovering the culture and beauty of the islands they visit. The show just debuted this past Tuesday, November 19th. (Sportskyunghyang)
- Rumor is that Kang Ho-dong is in talks to return to 1N2D which could be a huge boon for the show considering the recent cast departures and low ratings. Also joining the only remaining members Kim Jong-min and Cha Tae-hyun, are actor Kim Joo-hyuk, singer Jung Joo-young and rapper/MC Defconn and comedian Kim Jun-ho. (newsChosun)
- T.O.P. is confirmed to star in the upcoming sequel of the popular Korean film Tazza, Tazz 2. His female lead has been confirmed to be Shin Se-kyung and filming is set to begin in December.
- Joo Won and Kim Ah-joong‘s movie Catch Me will debut on December 12th. It’s a rom-com where he’s an expert cop and she’s an expert thief and they’re both each other’s first love.