Hello everyone, and welcome back to Week in Review. Here’s what you need to know going into the new week:
- A Pink received more death threats, including a bomb threat at this week’s recording of Music Bank. The studio was temporarily evacuated, but the show went ahead. Police say the threat was made from outside South Korea.
- Meanwhile, SNL Korea raised ire for its portrayal of Korean cartoon character Michol (from Dooly), considered to be a racist caricature of Black people, using A Pink’s Bomi.
- T.O.P appeared in court over his drug charges this week, admitting to all charges. He faces two years’ probation.
- A week after her announcement, FNC Entertainment has officially confirmed Choa‘s departure from the group.
Debuts & Comebacks
- MFBTY came out with compilation album FeelGhood.
- Shannon Williams‘ MV for “Love Don’t Hurt” has been banned from broadcast for its adult themes and depictions of tattooing, but you can watch it via our weekly playlist, above.
- BoA returned with “Camo,” which our reviewer considered to be a phenomenal release.
- Crush is back with Outside.
- Lee Hyori recruited Killagramz for “Seoul.”
- Stellar released the ambitious MV for “Archangels of the Sephiroth.”
- Hyolyn and Kisum teamed up with producer Groovyroom for iced tea CF “Fruity.”
- A Pink returned with “Five.”
- Heize is back with a new EP, and a summer rain-powered bump in the charts.
- Nam Tae-hyun‘s South Club dropped debut EP 90.
- G.Soul poured some “Tequila with new labelmate Hoody.
- Bernard Park has decided to perform under the name his birth name NakJoon, and released “Blame,” featuring Changmo.
- Up10tion returned with “Runner” and Star;dom.
- Peniel put out his single, “That Girl,” for BtoB‘s solo single project.
- Loona‘s Jinsoul put out “Singing in the Rain.”
Teasers & Announcements
- On the 5th, girl group Favorite (previously known as Astory Girls) will debut with “Party Time.”
- On the 6th, B1A4‘s Sandeul and Yoo Seung-woo will release collab single “Oppa.”
- On the 9th, Red Velvet will be having a fruit-themed summer comeback.
- On the 11th, rapper One will have his solo debut under YGE, working with Cha Cha Malone.
- On the 19th, K.A.R.D will officially debut with EP Hola Hola. The co-ed group will also be embarking on a five-stop Europe tour in September.
- Other July releases to look forward to:
- G-Friend are joining the summer rush with a late July comeback.
- The next Station release is a collaboration between Exo‘s Xiumin and NCT [insert preferred subunit name]‘s Mark
- We’re getting a JJ Project comeback!
- Lena Park will be getting married in Hawaii on July 15. Congrats to the happy couple!
- Jun Ji-hyun is pregnant with her second child — cue the “awwww”s.
- New couple alert!
- Big Bang‘s “Fantastic Baby” became the first K-pop group MV to pass the 300 million view mark on YouTube. Check out our review of both Alive MVs here.
- BTS were named as one of the 25 most influential people online by Time.
- Yoo Ah-in has been exempted from military service due to a bone tumour.
- Boys24 member Yoo Young-doo issued an apology after being caught selling fan gifts online.
- A short portion of Kim Soo-hyun‘s latest film, Real, showing co-star Sulli’s nude scene leaked online this week, just before the movie’s release. While nudity in Korean films isn’t out of the normal, Sulli’s ex-idol status and the poor reviews for Real, along with the film’s marketing strategies centred on said nudity, meant the footage spread like wildfire among fans and the Korean public.