Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed this week.
- Laughing Legend Match‘s Hong Hyun-hee officially apologized for the much criticized black-face sketch aired on the SBS show last week. The show has already apologized for the skit, but it all seems to be too little, too late — especially with celebrities like Sam Okyere commenting on the offensive nature of the skit.
- The woman who accused actor Uhm Tae-woong of sexual assault has been sentenced to two and half years in prison, following the judges ruling that the sex between Uhm and the massage parlor worker was consensual. The owner of the massage parlor was also charged with prostitution, blackmail, and filming with a hidden camera. Following the original accusations, Uhm Tae-woong paid a 1 million won fine last November for soliciting prostitution.
- Former Exo member Tao lost his lawsuit against SM Entertainment over unfair contract terms. However, given the dismissal of SM’s lawsuit against Tao’s activities in China, it seems not much is going to change for either side of this conflict going forward.
- The surgeon who operated on singer Shin Hae-chul was ordered to pay the family 15.9 billion won in malpractice compensation. Shin passed away following complications from a synechotomy in 2014.
- Kim Hyun-joong was charged a measly 2 million won for his drunk driving incident last month.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out all of this week’s releases in the playlist above!
- Although Palette was released last week, IU dropped the MV for “Ending Scene” early this week. Hopefully the “Jam Jam” MV we were promised is also waiting in the wings.
- The official debut of K.A.R.D is approaching now that they’ve completed their pre-debut projects with the single “Rumor.”
- Jonghyun returned with Story Op.2, and the lead single “Lonely” featuring Taeyeon.
- Hyukoh is back with the MVs for “Tomboy” and “Leather Jacket” as well as new album 23.
- Momoland channeled every cutsey girl group trope you’ve ever seen — plus a few dabs — in the new MV for “Wonderful Love.“
- Snuper returned with “Back:Hug.”
- Not gonna lie, it’s hard to keep track of all the Varsity members, but the new MV for “Hole in One” is definitely adorable, if not full of entendre.
- Brown Eyed Girls‘ Jea slowed things down for a remake of Han Ye-seul‘s “You’re Different.”
- I still have no idea what’s going on with the debut of Loona in its entirety, but Loona 1/3 dropped another MV this week, “Sonatine.”
- Sechskies celebrated their 20th debut anniversary with two new MVs: “Sad Song,” and “Be Well.”
- Our SM Station track for the week is Boa‘s “Spring Rain.”
Teasers & Announcements
- Piece of BtoB is a new single project that will release a solo single from each BtoB member over the course of seven months; Changsub was up first with the digital release, “At the End.”
- Psy has enlisted A Pink‘s Naeun to star in his upcoming MV.
- Shinee‘s Onew and Rocoberry are next up for SM Station with “Sleeping Pill.” Check out the cute live performance teaser.
- Unpretty Rapstar alums Exy (Cosmic Girls) and Euna Kim will come together for the track “Love Therapy” on May 4.
- T-ara‘s final comeback has been pushed back to June.
- Cube dropped the MV teasers for “365 Fresh” starring Hyuna and Hui. Are you excited for the debut of Triple H?
- Roy Kim will be back on May 18 with a new album.
- 9 Muses A plans to return this summer. Given how much we enjoyed “Lip 2 Lip,” we’re definitely looking forward to what cheeky fun will be dished out this time.
- Kwon Jinah dropped the first teaser for her digital single “Fly Away,” due out May 2.
- Casting News:
- In a rather unexpected combination, San E and Chaeyeon (DIA) will be playing the romantic leads in upcoming television movie Love Again.
- Big Bang will release their own original series Run Big Bang Scout! through YouTube Red. Is the promise of watching the members be silly on a camping trip enough to persuade you to subscribe to the service?
- Lee Kwang-soo will star in sequel film, The Accidental Detective 2.
- Jaden Smith plans to release a K-pop single in four months, which makes us ponder the contested meanings of K-pop.
- Super Junior‘s Heechul was involved in a minor car accident. Thankfully, the singer is okay and took to social media not long after the accident to remind fans to buckle up.
- Our condolences go out to G Soul, who lost his father this week.
- YG plans on launching their own drama production company, YG Studioplex.
- MBLAQ‘s Seungho is hopefully moving on to greener pastures by signing with acting agency Will Entertainment.
- Drama shippers can celebrate the news that Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo leads Lee Sung-kyung and Nam Joo-hyuk are officially an item.
- On the other side of the spectrum, Yeeun and Jeong Jiwoon announced the end of their four year relationship.