Hello everyone, and welcome back to Week in Review, your weekly news catch-up post. Here’s what happened:
Warning: the following section contains information that some may find distressing.
- A fifth woman has accused Yoochun of sexually assaulting her, speaking to Dispatch. Furthermore, the first woman, who had dropped the case earlier, is now pressing charges again. Yoochun has also now been questioned by police.
- Seo Tai-ji and the Boys member Lee Ju-no is currently under investigation for sexually harassing two women at a nightclub. Lee had previously accused of the same by another woman, but that case was settled out of court.
- Yoochun’s agency, C-JeS Entertainment, is being investigated for tax evasion.
- CN Blue‘s Jung Yong-hwa was accused of insider trading, allegedly buying shares before news of MC Yoo Jae-suk signing with FNC Entertainment had been made public. He was found not guilty. However, fellow member Lee Jong-hyun, who had purchased shares before the signing became public knowledge, was fined 20 million won. Jong-hyun was shown leniency after it was revealed that he was not aware the news was not yet public and subsequently not sold the shares bought.
Debuts & Comebacks
- After Taemin and Jonghyun, Taeyeon had her own solo comeback with Why. Check out our review of pre-release single with Dean, “Starlight,” here.
- Beast put out their pre-release track, “Butterfly,” on the 26th.
- Jellyfish Entertainment‘s first girl group, Gugudan, debuted with the pastel “Wonderworld.”
- Variety show Sisters’ Slam Dunk debuted their own girl group this week. Unnies are topping charts with “Shut Up.”
- After being investigated for drug possession, rapper Iron returns with “System” and some disses aimed at G-Dragon and T.O.P. And the ploy for attention seems to have worked, though Kiko Mizuhara didn’t need to be dragged into it. Just saying.
- Wanna.B return with “Why?”
- Sonamoo is back with “I Like You Too Much.”
- Kisum gives us a glimpse behind the scenes in the MV for “Okctabbang.”
- Brave Girls sing about their “High Heels.” All I will say is that a kids’ party does not fit this MV.
- Girl group Melody Day are here to put some “Color” in your summer.
- Boy group Astro is bringing Summer Vibes with their first comeback.
- VAV‘s “No Doubt” was shot in 2160p — I didn’t even know that existed.
- This week’s SM Station release is “My Hero,” by Leeteuk, Kassy, Suho, and Cho Young-soo.
Teasers & Announcements
- The Wonder Girls travel back to the ’70s in the teaser for “Why So Lonely.”
- After becoming the only 4Minute member to re-sign with Cube, Hyuna will be dropping her first full album in August.
- Seventeen are inching closer to their comback, which promises to be “Nice (Very Nice).”
- G-Friend have announced their double concept comeback, titled LOL — which means ‘lots of love’ and ‘laughing out loud.’
- G-Friend will also be teaming up with Mamamoo for the new season of Showtime.
- NCT will be debuting a Seoul-based, seven-member unit called NCT 127.
- YG‘s new girl group will only have four members, and their name will be Black Pink.
- The company also announced, then retracted, plans to soon debut a five-member girl group.
- Then, it was announced that Mino and Bobby would be simultaneously promoting solo releases in July, before teaming up for a unit release in August. Last I heard, this had not (yet) been retracted.
- Taemin will be making his solo debut in Japan.
- JTBC is all about the female idols right now, recruiting vocalists from lesser known groups to perform on their new show Girl Spirit. Will your nugu fave make it?
- Former U-Kiss maknae and newly wed man, Dongho, has now become a father! Even if the dates indicate a shotgun wedding, it’s still a happy occassion — congrats to the new family.