It’s that time of the year again: eggnog, chilly weather, long lines at the mall, and polls!
When it comes to the term “indie,” there is always a foggy gray area as to what counts and what doesn’t. While there is no universally agreed upon definition, the term nonetheless exists to describe a type of artist that does not conform to the promotional norms of the “mainstream” but nonetheless sustains a cult following which provides the artist with enough visibility and recognition, however limited, to exist. Our writers had a tough time deciding on their top picks of the year, and now we want to hear from you!
What is your favorite indie release of the year?
Here’s how it works:
1) Nominate an entry in the comments section by writing the artist name and song title in the following format.
Artist – Song Title
Eg. Psy – Gangnam Style
Only songs that were released on or after January 1st, 2013 will be considered. Any nominees which the Seoulbeats staff deems unfit for the poll’s criteria will be disqualified. Please refer here if you are unsure whether or not your nominee is considered indie…enough.
2) Entries can only be made as a new comment. Entries made in reply to another comment will not be counted.
3) Before nominating a new entry, please thoroughly check to make sure that the song has not already been nominated. Duplicate entries will not be counted twice! Therefore, it would be counterproductive to nominate an entry song more than once because it could potentially split up the overall votes for that entry.
4) Once an entry has been nominated, vote for it by clicking the up arrow beneath the comment which nominates the entry. We’re only concerned about up votes; down votes will not be factored in.
5) The entry with the most up votes by December 23rd 11:59 PM EST will be declared the winner! Check back later for a special Best of 2013 post dedicated to the winning entries.
We reserve the right to delete any comment which does not adhere to the rules above, or disqualify any nominees which we do not feel meet the poll’s criteria. Sharing comments and links to reinforce the nominated entries is highly encouraged.
May the odds be ever in your favor!
This poll is now closed. Thank you for voting!