Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review. Here’s all the news you might have missed over the past week:
(There is a mention of death. Please read on with caution.)
- Big Hit Entertainment and its subsidiary, beNX, have made a 70 billion Won investment in YG Plus, a subsidiary of YG Entertainment.
- On a similar note, it has also been revealed that Naver and Big Hit Entertainment are joining forces to create a new global fan community platform, combining V Live and Weverse. The two platforms will cease to exist in a year. This also creates uncertainty for the future of Beyond Live showcases, which is a joint collaboration between SM and Naver’s V Live that started in 2020.
- On January 25, rapper Iron was found bleeding and unconscious. He later passed away. An autopsy will not be conducted as the police have ruled out the possibility of homicide. We offer our condolences to his family.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Golden Child released an emotionally-charged “Burn It“. Our writer thought it to be a moving call for empathy and acceptance.
- TVXQ‘s Yunho released “Eeny Meeny“, a follow-up track from “Thank U“, with Red Velvet‘s Seulgi starring alongside him.
- iKon‘s Bobby dropped a hard-hitting rap track via “U Mad“. See our album review here!
- Featuring Gong-myung and Chae Soo-bin, Super Junior‘s Kyuhyun‘s “Moving On” was an emotional, moving ballad.
- Dreamcatcher came back with “Odd Eye“, which is the group’s sound and imagery in peak form.
- IU redefined what a “Celebrity” meant in her most recent MV. Check out our MV review!
- Hyuna returned with “I’m Not Cool“. Stay tuned for our MV review!
- The members of Iz One were ready to “D-D-Dance” in their latest MV.
- Ab6ix‘s Daehwi released the self-produced “21” for his birthday.
- Stray Kids‘ Han released felt like an “Alien” on Earth in his latest track.
Teasers & Announcements
- CIX‘s “Hello Chapter 0: Hello, Strange Dream“ releases on Feb 2.
- Aespa‘s second single, “Forever“, drops on Feb 5.
- Kim Wooseok comes back with 2nd Desire [Tasty] on Feb 8.
- Querencia marks Chungha‘s comeback on Feb 15.
- Black Pink‘s Rose will be making her solo debut on Jan 31. Her song will be released on Black Pink’s online concert, The Show.
- Melon has launched a new chart for discovering popular new releases, called Recent 24Hits. The chart is calculated with an aggregation of the top 100 songs that users have listened to the most within one and four weeks of release.