Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- In a departure from the usual rule of not commenting on current events, particularly social and political movements, many K-pop artists have shown support for the Black Lives Matter movement. This includes a hefty donation of $1 million by BTS, and a welcome acknowledgement of the influence of black culture on K-pop by CL.
- Former PD Ahn Joon-young has filed an appeal against his sentence of two years in prison and a fine of ₩36 million for his role in the Produce vote manipulation controversy. An appeal against the lower court ruling has also been filed by the prosecution.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Twice returned with a mature release in the form of “More and More“. Check out our review here.
- Victon returned with the dramatic “Mayday“. Read what our reviewer had to say about the comeback here.
- TXT released a dark and moody MV for “Puma“, a B-side off their latest mini album The Dream Chapter: Eternity.
- Treasure‘s Bang Ye-dam released a solo track, “Wayo” ahead of the group’s debut sometime in July.
Teasers & Announcements
- Super Junior-K.R.Y., a ballad unit consisting of Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Yesung, is ready to release When We Were Us on June 8. Can’t wait? Check out the album highlight medley here.
- BTOB‘s Eunkwang is all set to make his return with his first mini album, FoRest: Entrance, led by title track, “No One Knows” on June 8.
- WJSN look angelic in teasers released ahead of their June 9 comeback, Neverland.
- Soloist Heize will be releasing a mini album Lyricist on June 10. Not much else has been shared about the release yet.
- DIA will return after a long break — their least comeback being in March 2019 — with Flower 4 Seasons on June 10.
- Also returning on June 10 are N.Flying. Their seventh mini-album So, 通 (So, Tong) led by “Oh really” marks their first comeback with new member Seo Dong-sung.
- Momoland will be releasing a special album Starry Night, on June 11.
- Brown Eyed Girls‘ JeA‘s solo track “Greedy” due for release on June 12, will feature Mamamoo‘s Moonbyul.
- Iz*one announced the release of their third mini-album, Oneiric Diary, scheduled for June 15.
- Stray Kids will be releasing their first full album, titled GO生 (Go Live), on June 17. The group shared the cryptic “Prequel (Highlight Reel)” and the intense “UNVEIL : TRACK “GO生”” ahead of the release, giving fans some idea of what to expect.
- Rookies Cravity will be releasing an MV for “Cloud 9”, a B-side off their debut mini Hideout: Remember Who We Are on June 17.
- Ab6ix‘s comeback, Vivid, was postponed from June 8 to June 29, when it was announced that leader Lim Young-min had been caught drunk driving by the police on May 31, and will be temporarily halting all promotions and activities.
- CIX will be returning with the five song mini HELLO Chapter 3. Hello, Strange Time, led by “Jungle” on June 30.
- Award ceremonies are going ahead in South Korea with social distancing and safety norms intact. The 56th Baeksang Arts Awards were held on June 5 at Kintex Hall in Ilsan, Gyeonggi province. The ceremony was hosted by Park Bo-gum, Suzy and Shin Dong-yup, making this the trio’s third consecutive year as hosts of the awards.
- Blackpink‘s Lisa was confirmed to have been the victim of fraud by a former manager, who had worked with the group since debut. The ex-manager was reportedly entrusted with 1 billion won to look into real estate on her behalf. According to YG’s statement, the ex-manager has since reimbursed a part of the money, and has left the company after committing to a reimbursement plan for the remainder of the sum.
- Former CEO of Yuri Holdings, Yoo In-suk, plead guilty to the charges of embezzlement and prostitution mediation at the Burning Sun, before the Seoul Central District Court.