Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- On Monday afternoon, it was reported that singer and actress Sulli, who debuted with f(x) in 2009, passed away. The police found a note expressing her feelings, and will not be revealing its contents. On her family’s request, the funeral proceedings were kept private. The Seoulbeats’ team is deeply saddened by Sulli’s passing. We send our condolences to her family, friends and fans.
- Past contestants on Mnet‘s Produce series and Idol School have spoken up about Mnet’s practices — from editing to contracts — on the survival shows. We covered some of the allegations and their implications here. It has further come to light that:
- An I.O.I member’s agency allegedly created over 100,000 accounts to vote for their trainee in Produce 101.
- The method for selecting the Center for “X1-MA” was changed abruptly to voting by fans, after the trainees had already selected a Center from amongst themselves.
- It looks like Mnet is indeed distancing itself from the controversy. The police are investigating whether the Produce X 101 PDs manipulated the results in exchange for monetary compensation from related agency representatives.
Debuts & Comebacks
- BTOB‘s Hyunsik made a solo debut with an emotional MV for “Dear Love“, the title track to his galactic exploration in the mini album Rendez-vous.
- N.Flying enjoyed a night out together in “Good Bam“, the title track for Yaho.
- Monsta X wanted to be “Someone’s Someone” in their latest MV.
- 1THE9, formed through the MBC survival show Under Nineteen, had their hearts broken in “Blah“, the title to their 2nd mini album Blah Blah.
- Super Junior made their long awaited comeback as a full group with “SUPER Clap“, and Time Slip.
- BTS released a remixed version of “Make It Right” ft. American artist Lauv, with a sweet animation dedicated to their fans.
- Zelo, formerly of B.A.P, surprised fans with “Drunken Master“.
Teasers & Announcements
- Nu’est released an MV teaser for “Love Me” and previewed their 7th mini album The Table, due for release on October 21.
- Rookies TXT revved up promotions with a highlight medley, and two enchanting MV teasers for “Run Away” ahead of their first comeback, The Dream Chapter: Magic, scheduled for October 21.
- Also dropping MV teasers for their return on October 21 are VAV, who return with their new mini album Poison.
- Former Produce 48 contestant, ZB Label‘s AleXa has been dropping teasers, including her life story, for her debut with “Bomb” on October 21.
- Day6 have been dropping individual member teasers in the run up to their comeback with The Book of Us: Entropy on October 22.
- Youngjae, formerly of B.A.P released a comeback trailer and MV teaser for “Forever Love” in the lead up to his comeback with O,on on October 22.
- Winner revealed the tracklist and a teaser film explaining the meaning of Cross for their upcoming comeback on October 23.
- Got7‘s Jackson will be releasing a solo album “Mirrors” on October 24.
- Following Sulli’s passing, Girl’s Generation‘s Taeyeon delayed her comeback from October 22 to October 28.
- Brown Eyed Girls have begun sharing concept photos in anticipation of their long awaited comeback, Re_vive, on October 28.
- Monsta X revealed teaser photos for their upcoming mini album Follow: Find You, scheduled for release on October 28.
- Former Produce X 101 contestants Kim Si-hun, Hong Seong-jun and Yun Jung-hwan from Brand New Music, will be promoting as BDC a.k.a. Boys Da Capo with the release of a special single album on October 29.
- Rookies We In The Zone will be making their first comeback with “Loveade” and the mini album Weeee! on October 30.
- Eric Nam announced a new single to be released on October 30.
- IU postponed the release of Love Poem, and will moving back the release of pre-release track, “Love Poem” to November 1. The date for the release of the album has not yet been decided.
- Victon began the promotions for their 5th mini album Nostalgia with a teaser schedule leading up to the comeback on November 4.
- Up10tion member and Produce X 101 finalist Lee Jin-hyuk also released a comeback scheduler leading up to his solo debut on November 4.
- Got7 announced a comeback set for November 4.
- HyunA and E’Dawn (now promoting as Dawn), who have been described as being competitive about who would release music first by Psy, will each be releasing solo music on November 5.
- Many idols and celebrities including Shinhwa‘s Dongwan, Shim Eun-jin, South Club‘s Nam Tae-hyun, and Ha:tfelt spoke out against malicious comments and the disregard for mental health in the South Korean entertainment industry.
- Additionally, the Korea Entertainment Management Association (KEMA) promised to take strong action against malicious commentators, whereas the Korea Singers Association (KSA) promised to establish a counselling center.
- It was also reported that lawmakers will be proposing a new bill nicknamed “Sulli’s Act” to counter cyber-bullying. Specific measures to be suggested in the bill are still unknown.
- Boy group Seven o’Clock introduced two new members on October 8, but announced the withdrawal of one, Eun-gyul, shortly after on October 18.