Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- Police reportedly carried out a search and seizure of YG Entertainment‘s headquarters in Seoul on August 17, in connection with founder Yang Hyun-suk‘s alleged gambling activities abroad. Yang has been booked along with Seungri on the said suspicions.
- Yang is also reportedly under suspicion for receiving special treatment from the police in a case concerning building violations. The building in question is a six-floor building in the Mapo district in Seoul.
- Former Idol School contestant Som Hye-in publicly came out as bi on her Instagram account.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out our playlist of the week’s releases above!
- Boy group Mont released a rather intense music video titled “Long Live the Republic of South Korea” celebrating the Korean liberation. The group’s agency, Fly Music Entertainment, has stated that it intends to donate all profits from the digital version of the song.
- The Rose want to be red, like a painted sky, in their third single album, “Red“. Read our review here.
- Winner‘s Jinu celebrated his Heyday, in a witty release that also featured band-mate Mino. Look out for our review!
- Weki Meki chilled by the pool side in “Tiki-Taka (90%)“, the title track to their repackage album Week End (LOL). Keep an eye out for our review!
- Jay Park, Sik-K, HAON, pH-1, and Woodie Gochild collaborated on “Giddy Up” (prod. GroovyRoom).
- Kim Tae-woo and Son Ho-young, vocal line members of the g.o.d., debuted as HoooW, with the playful “Game Over“.
Teasers & Announcements
- Everglow released a highlight medley for their single album Hush and an MV teaser for title track “Adios”, scheduled for August 19.
- Viini or Kwon Hyun-bin of Produce 101 fame, dropped the track list, an album sampler and an MV teaser for title track “Genie”, in the lead up to his solo debut with Dimension on August 19.
- The Boyz also shared the track list and highlight medley for their upcoming mini album DreamLike and two MV teasers for title track “D.D.D“, to be released on August 19.
- Red Velvet invited fans for The ReVe Festival: Day 2, their upcoming album to be released on August 20. The group dropped teaser images of individual members and an audio preview of “Love is the Way”.
- Up10tion also continued to release teaser images for their 8 member comeback on August 22.
- Apink‘s Ha-young dropped two MV teasers for “Don’t Make Me Laugh” the title track to her solo debut mini-album, scheduled for August 21.
- The latest group from Mnet‘s highly successful Produce series, X1, previewed a recording of leader Han Seung-woo, and continued to drop individual member teasers in anticipation of the group’s debut on August 27.
- VIXX‘s Ravi announced the release of his fourth mixtape Nirvana II, scheduled for August 29.
- Making a return to K-pop following controversies surrounding his alleged mistreatment of his cat and contempt for fans, Longguo (Kim Yong-guk) announced his comeback, scheduled for August 29.
- Laboum announced a comeback sometime in September.
- K-Tigers Entertainment announced the debut sometime in October, of a co-ed group, K-Tigers Zero. The group will reportedly consist of 12 members — 7 male and 5 female; and includes Produce 101 contestant and former Rainz member Byun Hyun-min.
- Woolim Entertainment announced W Project 4. No details other than a logo motion have been shared as yet.
- SM Entertainment released a practice clip of its upcoming super group, the unfortunately named SuperM.
- Chinese-speaking K-pop stars have voiced their opposition to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong. Exo‘s Lay terminated his contract with Samsung Electronics as its website does not adhere to the One China policy.
- The woman (unnamed) who accused B.A.P‘s Himchan of committing an indecent act by compulsion, is now under suspicion for blackmail. Her case has been forwarded to the prosecution. It is unclear how this will affect the ongoing case against Himchan.
- In the meantime, B.A.P’s former agency TS Entertainment and Jun Hyo-sung reached a settlement over their legal dispute concerning Hyo-sung’s contract, which now stands terminated.
- Celebrity couple Ahn Jae-hyun and Ku Hye-sun appear to be headed towards divorce.