Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- After having previously stated that he does not remember the incident, Kang Ji-hwan overcame his temporary amnesia and admitted to all charges of sexual assault in an official statement. His agency, Huayi Brothers Korea, has terminated his contract. Seo Ji-suk will be replacing Kang in his ongoing drama, Joseon Survival.
- On the other hand, Jung Joon-young and Choi Jong-hoon continued to deny charges of aggravated rape at their first day of trial. While he admitted to the illegal filming, Jung disputed the admissibility of the KakaoTalk conversations as evidence in Court, on the ground that they had been obtained illegally.
- Law enforcement continued to have a busy week as Yang Hyun-suk was booked for alleged mediation of prostitution; and Shinhwa‘s Minwoo‘s case of alleged sexual harassment was forward to the prosecution.
- Equally busy, the prosecution dropped the fraud and embezzlement charges filed by a group of Sechskies fans against member Kang Sung-hoon. Kang was accused of embezzling profits from an event for the group’s 20-year debut anniversary. Based on the evidence, the prosecution found it difficult to conclude that he had deceived his fans.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out our playlist of all the week’s releases above!
- Day6 had “The Time of Our Life” in their latest album, The Book of Us: Gravity. Do check out our reviews of the MV and the album.
- KNK returned with S/S Collection, where they evoked a sensual yet experimental “Sunset“. We reviewed the MV here.
- Girl group FlaShe was tired of love songs in “Talk“.
- Pentagon pouted adorably in “Humph!“, the title track for their new EP, SUM(ME:R). Look out for our MV review soon!
- In a surprise solo single announced just two days before its release, VIXX‘s Hyuk made his “Way To You“.
- NCT‘s Taeyong showed off his skills in “Long Flight“.
- In another surprise release, SNSD‘s Hyoyeon, aka DJ Hyo, dropped a high energy solo single “Badster“.
- Leading up to their official unit debut, Exo-SC shared a behind the scenes style MV for “Just Us 2” featuring Gaeko.
Teasers & Announcements
- Exo-SC shared a teaser for the “What a Life” MV, the title track of their unit debut What a Life, scheduled for July 22.
- GWSN released a dance practice spoiler and an overview for their upcoming album, The Park in the Night Part 3, to be released on July 23.
- CIX revealed an MV teaser for “Movie Star“, the title track for their debut on July 23. The group contains former Wanna One‘s Bae Jin-young and YG Treasure Box contestants Lee Byoung-gon and Kim Seung-hun.
- Kang Daniel released the tracklist featuring five songs and a highlight medley for his much anticipated solo debut on July 25, Color on Me.
- Main vocal of The Rose, Woo-sung will be making his solo debut with a mini album, Wolf, accompanied by its title track “Face” on July 25.
- NCT Dream announced their third mini album, We Boom, with title track “Boom” to be released on July 26. Teasers have been dropping all week.
- Park Boram of Superstar K2 fame will be releasing a digital single on July 26.
- Itzy released visual film teasers for their upcoming comeback “It’z Icy”, scheduled for July 29.
- LM Entertainment has filed a second appeal over its dispute with Kang Daniel regarding his contract. Even as he gears up for his solo comeback, the dispute has jeopardized his chances of appearing on music shows; and cost his manager a membership with the Korea Management Federation.
- The fourth season of Produce came to an end this week in an unpredictable finale. The new group will be named “X1“. Congratulations to the trainees that made it!
- It has been reported that LVMH may indeed be pulling out of YG Entertainment. We covered the effects of YG’s crime-related “scandals” on its artists here.
- Netmarble is reportedly developing yet another BTS game. It has also been reported that BTS World did not meet the expected profits.