Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review. Here’s all the news you might have missed over the past week:
- The latest on SM Entertainment‘s launch of SM3.0:
- SM pitched for their strategic partnership with Kakao and the ways it could boost media synergy between them.
- The executives of SM detailed their expansion and investment strategies for the global market. Additionally, the CFO explained their IP monetisation strategy.
- The CEOs of SM jointly outlined an ambitious plan regarding the future of SM artists — announcing multiple albums, multiple tours, changes to SM’s management of their social media platforms, and launch of websites to curb artist harassment.
- SM released a video statement on their stance against Hybe’s partial acquisition/hostile takeover, raising several questions and pointers throughout.
- Hybe Entertainment released a vague, but open, letter in response regarding their acquisition of Lee Soo-man‘s SM Entertainment shares. They have acquired 14.8% of SM shares as of date.
- Hybe has since then stated that it will take necessary legal (civil or criminal) measures to ensure that SM’s relationship with Kakao does not grow. They make several claims that the current agreement between SM and Kakao allows the latter to increase their stake in SM (diluting Hybe’s ownership) and raised issue with Kakao’s role in the distribution of SM’s music. (For more context, this is explained in SM’s video on Kakao).
Debuts & Comebacks
- Fifty Fifty released “Cupid” ahead of their album release on March 13.
- Lucy returned with their 3rd EP, Insert Coin, and the corresponding MV for “Unbelievable“.
- Woodz made a long-awaited return with “Abyss“.
- The Boyz were powerful in their comeback with “Roar“.
Teasers & Announcements
- Hwang Minhyun‘s “Truth or Lie” drops on February 27.
- Ab6ix‘s Park Woojin releases “Top Tier” on February 27.
- Shinee‘s Onew returns with Circle on March 6.
- Yuju‘s 2nd mini-album, O, is due for a March 7 release.
- Twice make their comeback with “Ready To Be” on March 10.
- Exo‘s Kai Rover releases on March 13.
- BTS‘ Jimin makes his solo debut with Face on March 24, with two pre-release songs scheduled for March 6 and March 17.
- Survival shows are running strong:
- Boys Planet 999 announced their first survivor on February 24. Daeul was revealed at the 13th position.
- Fantasy Boys first airs on March 23. B1A4‘s Jinyoung, Winner‘s Yoon, G-Idle‘s Soyeon, and 2PM‘s Wooyoung will feature as producers. TVXQ‘s Changmin will be the mentor and MC.
(YouTube:     , Twitter:         . Billboard:  , Naver. Images via: JYP Entertainment, SM Entertainment, MBC.)