Welcome to another double update of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- [Waring for mentions of attempted suicide.] Goo Hara was rushed to the hospital on May 26 after her manager found her unconcious in her apartment in an apparent suicide attempt. Hara has since been in the hospital recovering, and released a statement assuring fans she will focus on having a healthier mindset.
- Accusations of past bullying have continued to surface for celebrities including Hyorin, Jannabi and Berry Good‘s Daye. We’ll have a more detailed article on this topic soon!
- SM Entertainment and Lee Soo-man came under fire this week for suspicious financial transactions with the side company Like Planning. According to reports, nearly 44% of SM’s profit over the past five years went to the relatively unknown company. SM released a statement clarifying that all transactions have been legal and the Like Planning is critical to SM’s global development plan.
- YG‘s Yang Hyun-suk is facing allegations of mediating prostitution back in 2014. Psy and Malaysian businessman Jho Low were also included in the reports. Yang has strongly denied the claims, while Psy released a personal statement acknowledging his past friendship with Jho Low, but denying any involvement with prostitution.
- Bong Joon-ho‘s Parasite was awarded the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival. Parasite was only the second Korean film to be screened at the festival, and the first ever to win the top award.
- Fans were shocked at the sudden announcement of Pristin‘s disbandment only two years into their career. Only Kyulkyung, Yehana, and Sungyeon will remain under Pledis Entertainment.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Kyuhyun finally made his return with “Aweol-ri.”
- Got7 showed off their vulnerability in the MV for “Eclipse.”
- Lovelyz kept up their signature sound with the summery “Beautiful Days.”
- Our reviewer found Ab6ix‘ “Breathe” to be a solid second single.
- Cherry Bullet gave us another “Really Really” cute MV.
- Hyorin got emotional in the MV for “You Know Better.”
- NCT 127 really played up the technology part of their name in the MV for “Superhuman.” Our reviewer was especially impressed with the track’s change-up of the typical NCT vocal lines.
- Berry Good came back with “Oh! Oh!” Not long after leader Taeha announced her departure from the group.
- Giant Pink and Yeri teamed up for the SM Station track “Tuesday is Better than Monday.”
- OnlyOneOf debuted with two MVs: “Savanna” and “Time Leap.”
- Oneus continued to develop their sound and concept in “Twilight.”
- CLC put their confidence front and center in the MV for “Me.” Check out our CLC restrospective here.
The Boyz also released two new MVs for “Butterfly” and “Clover.”
- Lee Hi made her long awaited comeback with “No One” featuring Ikon‘s B.I. Look forward to our review!
- SNSD‘s Yoona put out a special solo album A Walk to Remember with the lead single, “Summer Night.”
- Group mate Tiffany Young also shared a special Korean remix of “Runaway.”
- EXID gifted Leggo a special MV for “We Are.”
- Jooyoung was “Lost” in an abstract new MV.
- Lee Changmin channeled retro noraebang vibes for “Easy to Say.”
- It’s been a long time since we’ve heard from Lim Kim. Too bad “Sal-ki” is an audio-only release.
- Same goes for Dean‘s “Howlin’ 404.”
Teasers & Announcements
- Teaser’s for Sandeul‘s “One Fine Day” look promisingly cinematic. The new mini album of the same name will be out on June 3.
- Fromis_9 are sharing individual member video teasers for Fun Factory, set for release on June 5.
- Ha Sungwoon‘s second digital single is due out on June 5.
- NCT Dream will collaborate with HRVY for the next SM Station Track, “Don’t Need Your Love” out on June 6.
- TVXQ‘s Yunho will release his first solo album True Colors on June 12.
- The Loona-verse is about to expand with the release of La Maison sometime soon.
- We can also anticipate another solo release from Yesung in the near future.
- Jessica and Krystal Jung will have a new reality series broadcast together.
- Rainz Ju Wontak applied to terminate his contract with 2ABLE Company. The agency plans to take legal action, but that might be difficult considering Ju also revealed through Instagram that the company’s CEO is under investigation for embezzlement.
- Winner‘s Inkigayo appearance was canceled after Kang Seungyoon suffered from a herniated disk. Wishing him a speedy recovery!
- Yoo Byung-jae has left YG Entertainment and signed with Sandbox Network.
- Vixx‘ Ravi will also be leaving Jellyfish Entertainment, but the agency assured that he will continue to work with VIXX.
- Exo‘s D.O. will begin his military service on July 31.
- 2PM‘s Junho will also enlist this June.
- Monsta X signed with Epic Records for English language promotions.
- Swings issued an apology after several students were injured during his performance at Jeonghwa Arts University’s festival. He also promised to personally visit the injured.
- Choi Jonghoon‘s habeas corpus petition was rejected by Seoul courts, meaning he will remain in detention and his case will proceed.
(YouTube. Naver:          , Nate:     , Osen, KBS. Images Via: Marie Claire, Stone Music Entertainment, Jellyfish Entertainment, WM Entertainment.)