Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- The MBC labor strike is having a huge impact, with Infinite Challenge, Radio Star, Music Core, and Idol Athletic Championships canceled indefinitely. MBC employees are calling for the resignation of president Kim Jang-gyeum over unfair censorship and regulations. We’ll have more comprehensive coverage on the strike soon!
- The prosecution of one of Yoochun‘s accusers appealed her not guilty verdict on charges of defamation, citing that rape cannot happen in a small bathroom. Thankfully, the ridiculous appeal was denied by the judge.
- Hyorin is leaving behind Starship Entertainment to be a free agent. Soyou and Dasom will stay with the agency.
- Cross Gene fans are protesting Takukya‘s involvement in the Japanese musical My Host — citing questionable treatment of cast members. Amuse Korea responded to concerns by saying Takuya’s participation on the show was reached through a mutual agreement and that fans should look forward to an enjoyable performance.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Check out all this week’s releases in the playlist above!
- Our monthly Day 6 release is “I Loved You.”
- Exo brought plenty of nostalgia to the MV for “Power,” but the track didn’t quite hit the mark for our reviewer.
- B.A.P. returned for a scenic “Honeymoon.” On the not-so-scenic side, what are your thoughts of the resurgence of the mullet?
- Pentagon found a dream state with “Like This.”
- Shinhwa’s Hyesung is “Still There.”
- 10cm wins cutest MV of the week with “Pet” starring Produce 101‘s Yoo Seonho.
- MXM (Brandnew Boys) declared “I’m the One” in their debut MV.
- G Soul came back with his first release under new label H1GHR Music, “Can’t.”
- Seventeen‘s Jun and The8 released both Korean and Chinese versions of their unit single, “My, I.”
- “Fresh Up” with San E, Penomeco, Microdot, and Kebee.
- Soyou remade Choi Sung-won‘s “The Blue Night of Jeju Island.”
- Eunji (A Pink) celebrated young friendship in the special MV for “Manito.”
- NCT Dream also released a special MV for “My Page.”
- We had another Produce 101 debut this week: Kim Yongjin with “NG.”
Teasers & Announcements
- BTS has already surpassed over 1 million pre-sale orders for their upcoming release Love Yourself: Her. The first installment of the Love Yourself series is due out on September 18, and the first teaser “Serendipity” looks promising.
- IU will release her second remake album A Flower Bookmark — partially in honor of her 9th debut anniversary — on September 22.
- Junho‘s new mini Canvas will drop on September 11. In the meantime, we can appreciate his pre-release duet “Forgetting Away” featuring Cheeze.
- Things appear to be taking a sombre turn for G Friend in the latest teaser for “Summer Rain.” The members were also involved in a minor car accident this week — thankfully no one was injured.
- Boys 24 are officially IN2IT.
- The track list for April‘s new album Eternity is out. The album is slated for release on September 20 with the title track “Hold My Hand.”
- It’s been 18 years since the group’s last full album release, but Sechskies 5th studio album is on its way!
- B1a4 will be back this month.
- SS301‘s Kim Kyujong will return with the second installment of his Play In Nature mini album series in October.
- Following a slight spoiler on Instagram, Sunny (SNSD) and Henry (Super Junior) confirmed their collaboration for the Snowball Project.
- Following his departure from Infinite, Hoya shared via Instagram that he’s already working on an album.
- Casting news:
- Heechul (Super Junior) and Sojin (Girl’s Day) will take over as MCs of the Channel E variety My Daughter’s Men.
- Idol revival show The Unit is racking up quite the collection of idols looking for a second chance at fame: Dal Shabet‘s Serri and Woohee, as well as DIA‘s Yebin and Somyi announced their participation this week. Some members of boy groups Snuper, Mr Mr, and Top Secret will also participate.
- Nu’est‘s Ren will star in the new drama Four Sons alongside After School‘s Nana
- U-Kiss‘ Kiseop sustained second degree burns after an explosion on an MV set. Wishing him a quick recovery!
- Uji and Dahye have left Bestie and YNB Entertainment.
- 2PM‘s Taecyeon began his mandatory military service on September 4.
- Jackson will halt his participation in Got7‘s Japanese promotions to focus on his health.
- Former 4 Minute member Jeon Jiyoon has left Robin K Entertainment.
- Need a pick me up? Watch Sunmi‘s drunken rendition of “Gashina.”