Welcome to another edition of SB Week in Review! It’s been a busy week, with comebacks galore. Here’s all the news you might have missed:
- MBC is under serious fire for the representation of Muslims in the upcoming drama Man Who Lives to Die. Following the release of the teaser — which featured many inaccurate and offensive portrayals of Islam — MBC issued an apology. The network said they would be more sensitive in the future. However, many international fans have already declared a boycott on the drama and would like to see it canceled.
- Rapper Iron stood trial this week for domestic violence against his ex girlfriend. He was found guilty and sentenced to two years probation.
- T.O.P. also faced the judge this week for his marijuana charges. The singer will serve two years probation as well as a 10 month prison sentence if the terms of his probation are violated.
- Seo Ha-joon confirmed that it was indeed him in last year’s web-camera scandal.
Debuts & Comebacks
- Exo swept the charts this week with their new album The War, and its lead single “Ko Ko Bop.”
- Jay Park and Dok2 teamed up once again for “Most Hated.” It was also announced this week that Jay Park has signed with Jay-Z‘s label, Roc Nation.
- Akmu gave us a taste of summer whimsey and adventure in the MV for “Dinosaur.”
- KARD made their long-awaited official debut with the album Hola Hola and an MV of the same name. With their debut also came an official fanclub name, Hidden KARD, and more American tour dates!
- Psy released the out of character, “Love.”
- Seo Taiji covers seem to be the trend this month. The latest one is Younha‘s “Take Five.”
- CNBlue‘s Yonghwa is back as a soloist with “That Girl” and his new mini Do Disturb.
- G Soul joined Skull and Haha for “Nora.”
- Lee Jin-ah made a “Random” summer comeback.
- Snuper came back with a repackage album and new MV, “Star of Stars.”
- KNK got emotional and well… soaking wet in the MV for “Rain.”
- NCT‘s Mark is back for yet another SM Station single. This week’s release was “Lemonade Love” with Parc Jae-jung.
Teasers & Announcements
- CLC is gearing up for a comeback with “Free’SM” on August 3.
- DIA will return in August.
- VIXX LR also has their sights set on an August comeback.
- Group teasers for G-Friend‘s Parallel have been released. We can anticipate their comeback on August 1 with “Love Whisper.”
- Laboum hit the beach in their teasers for Laboum Summer Special, due out on July 25.
- 9 Muses will release a repackage on August 3, along with a new single “Love City.”
- Things are getting pretty spooky Dreamcatcher‘s teasers for “Fly High.”
- The post Produce 101 fever is still high, and pre-orders for Wanna One‘s debut EP have surpassed 500,000 copies. Which of the two title tracks will you vote for: “Burn it Up” or “Energetic”?
- While Minhyun is busy with Wanna One, Nu’est W will promote the special single “If You.” The sub-unit also released a new version of the group’s track “Look.”
- Produce 101 contestants Im Youngmin and Kim Donghyun will debut as MXM on July 27.
- Papa YG is sharing teasers of Taeyang‘s impending comeback on Instagram.
- Jessica Jung, like her former SNSD members, will celebrate her 10 year debut anniversary with a special comeback in August.
- Speculation surrounding the dissolution of Park Yoochun‘s engagement made news this week. C-JeS Entertainment had no comment on the rumors.
- JYP Entertainment plans to take strong action against fans unruly airport behavior, following a series of incidents with GOT7.
- Tablo — who celebrated a birthday this week — will step down as the head of boutique label HIGHGRND. He will be focusing his attention on Epik High and having a more hands-on role with the label’s artists.
- The success of Lee Hyori‘s reality show Hyori Home Stay has lead to the singer asking fans to please stop visiting her Jeju home.
- Some Seoulbeats hearts are about to be broken: Kang Ha-neul confirmed his enlistment date as September 11.