It’s time for another episode of Seoulbeats Chat Box! Following our Kcon NY 2016 episode, I am joined by Lo and Cat of Ahjummas Anonymous for some girl group lovin’ with 4Minute, Nine Muses, and Miss A — groups that have either disbanded, or lost members in past few weeks.
Huge thanks to Lo and Cat for joining me for this episode; you can find a detailed synopsis below!
After briefly discussing the upcoming US election, and between bouts of Pledis-bashing, we get right into:
4Minute (from the start)
- Is this how we expected things to go down?
- We take a look at sales figures, and they paint a grim picture for 4Minute
- Basically, business people are stupid
- We attempt to predict the career paths of the non-Hyuna members
- Can we hope for a 2Yoon reunion?
- Will Jiyoon follow up on her Unpretty Rapstar 2 noteriety?
- No-one remembers Jihyun in “Hate.”
- Did you know the meaning behind 4Minute’s name?
- And in case you didn’t notice, Lo is not a tuba fan.
Nine Muses (about 22 minutes in)
- AKA the group with more former members than current
- Comparing Namyu to Jewelry takes on an eerie tone when we realise both are/were under Star Empire
- From terrible debut to one of the best singles discographies in K-pop (starting with”News”)
- But “Wild” is “the holy paragon of the Nine Muses discography.”
- Which Muse graduation affected us (and you) the most?
- So Namyu can function without a standout vocalist… But can they make do without a standout rapper like Euaerin?
- I cannot remember who the shortest member of the group is.
- Our favourite Namyu dances get a shout-out
- How will the upcoming girl group’s affect older groups like Nine Muses?
- Does terming departures as ‘graduations’ lead to more positive outcomes?
- And will a K-pop group ever have the forsight to have a ‘goodbye tour’ before disbanding?
Miss A (just before the 40-minute mark)
- Jia shows us how to do an amicable departure.
- So Miss A is dunzo, right?
- We have round two of how to say EXID
- Now most groups can’t afford to lose momentum
- We’re a bit worried about Twice and Got7
- Was “Breathe” the right choice for a sophomore single?
- We all love “Hush”
- Lo wants Drake to listen to “I Don’t Need A Man”
- So, how did we end up with “Only One” as a final single?
This podcast was recorded before some of the newer updates came out, so they are not discussed here; but hopefully, we can get around to them when we meet up again to talk about the girl crush concept!
(Soundcloud. Images via: Elle Korea, Cube Ent., Star Empire Ent.)