Hello everyone, and welcome to this (slightly late) edition of Week in Review. This week has been a doozy, and here is what you need to know:
- It seemed like that we had finally reached a conclusion with the Yoochun saga, with police acquitting him of all four sexual assault charges on Monday… Until they announced that he would be charged with soliciting prostitution from the woman who made the first claim, as well as fraud — because he promised her money for sex and didn’t pay. Said woman is also being charged with prostitution, while a blackmail counter-suit filed by Yoochun is still being investigated. Keep an eye on Seoulbeats for a more detailed rundown of this sordid chapter in K-pop.
- Actor Lee Jin-wook was also accused of sexual assault this week, by a person known to him. His agency has proclaimed the actor’s innocence, and filed a counter-suit. Investigation is currently underway.
- Actor Lee Min-ki‘s agency also chose this week to reveal that he had been accused of sexual assault in February, but was acquitted.
- Residents of rural town Seongju are not happy with the decision to be turned into the base for the US’ THAAD missile lawsuit. Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn was pelted with eggs and bottles on a visit to sway townsfolk.
- A number of Chinese idols have come out in support of their homeland in the South China Sea dispute. f(x)‘s Victoria and more have posted pro-China images in social media that claim most of the South China Sea as China’s, despite a recent ruling supporting the sovereignty of South East Asian nations like The Philippines, Vietnam, and more, to various parts of the area.
- Got7‘s Bambam has given a personal apology after he was caught saying the N word on Snapchat at a house party at member Mark‘s place in LA. This incident was the culmination of a North American concert tour plagued with behaviour issues, many involving Mark’s hometown friends. Needless to say, fans are not impressed.
- Lee Hi was also caught saying the N word twice as she sang along to a Rihanna song on a V App broadcast. While she acknowledged that she shouldn’t have said the word, she is yet to apologise for doing so.
- Rookie group The Legend has filed for contract termination from SS Entertainment.
Debuts & Comebacks
- G-Friend seek to continue their reign with album LOL and single “Nallivera.”
- Mamamoo‘s brother group Vromance debuted with “She.”
- John Park and his dulcet tones are back in “Thought of You.”
- “You=Heaven,” according to Snuper.
- K-indie darling Neon Bunny put out a MV for “Room 314” featuring Mark Redito.
- Eric Nam dropped the MV for “Can’t Help Myself.”
- This week’s SM Station release is “My Show” from LDN Noise and Cha Ji-yeon.
- M&D may have officially disbanded, but Heechul and Jung-mo are still working together — check out trot-inspired “Ulsanbawi.”
- And none for Ravi.
Teasers & Announcements
- Did you know there is a 13th Zodiac sign? I didn’t but it has come in handy for WSJN, which has included Produce 101 and I.O.I member Yoo Yeon-jung in its line-up.
- Nine Muses will be debuting a four-member unit this summer, with Kyungri apparently filling one of the spots. I wonder who the other three will be…
- Stellar is making a comeback on the 18th; the members were also involved in a car accident, but escaped relatively unscathed.
- FT Island shall return on the 18th.
- Rapper Heize is preparing to release EP And July.
- Hello Venus will be dropping summer digital single “Paradise” on the 18th.
- Boyband Beatwin will also be making a comeback.
- Gavy NJ is also preparing for a comeback, with “Shubirubirub.”
- Baek A Yeon will be hosting her second concert, Sogon Sogon, later this year.
- Oh My Girl will also have their first concert series, Summer Special, to go with their August comeback. It’s awesome to see more girl groups getting to do concerts!
- Mnet‘s new girl group survival show, Finding Momoland, will have two trainees from Duble Kick Entertainment — and neither of them are Chanmi.
- I don’t know if this is the best time to rush the comeback of a Chinese idol, what with the pissed off South East Asian fans and all, but SM randomly announced Zhou Mi‘s solo comeback.
- Excitement for Fei‘s solo debut has also been slightly dampened with her support of China — in fact, it’s made netizens not notice that you can see her undies in her teaser images for “Fantasy.”
- B.A.P is making a very bold suggestion for my birthday in this teaser image of Daehyun.
- As many of us have guessed, Cube is experiencing issues with staff. As a result, Hyuna‘s comeback and Pentagon‘s debut have been pushed back.
- SNSD maknae Seohyun may be debuting solo this November.
- CL‘s Mexico City show has sadly been cancelled.
- MBLAQ‘s Mir enlisted for military service on the 13th.
- CN Blue has dropped out of Kcon LA this year, but f(x)’s Amber and Eric Nam (who was also at Kcon NY) will be filling in.
- The BIGGEST news this week is that the genre’s first White boy, Chad Future, has left K-pop — cue the Chad Past jokes. For those not sure of who he is, you can hear about his revolutionary idea for ‘American K-pop’ in this interview we somehow found ourselves doing with him. But K-pop still has some mayo, though, like Henry Bloomfield.
- It seems Zion.T and Crush have made up, if this Insta pic is anything to go by. Could this be the best thing SMTM5 has ever done?
- G-Dragon is the coverboy for Vogue Korea‘s 20th Anniversary edition.
- Meanwhile, his group Big Bang became the first Korean act to land on Forbes‘ Celebrity 100, at #54.
- There is a rock version of DIA‘s “On The Road” but I wouldn’t know about it since SBS blocks its videos in Australia.
- Shannon Williams does not want Armys on her case, making it clear that she is NOT dating BTS‘ Jimin.
- In sad news, it has been confirmed that The Ark has disbanded — but it was against at least one member’s will, with Euna taking to Instagram to give her side of the story.
(Australian Financial Review, Daum, Facebook, Ilgan Sports, Instagram, Kcon, Korea Herald, Korea Joongang Daily, Minseoktea, MBN, MyDaily, Nate, New York Times, Sports Donga, Top Star News, TV Report, Twitter, V App, Wow TV, YouTube. Images via: Harper’s Bazaar, CJ E&M, Fantagio, Vogue Korea. Chad Future image courtesy of probably Chad Future, he made his own music and MVs he probably did his own photoshoots too. I wish I had a trust fund)