Welcome back to SB Week in Review! Spring has sprung, and with it comes a new wave of pastel comebacks and sweet promotions. In case you missed it, here’s all the news from this past week:
- Tensions are once again high with North Korea. Following their semi-successful satellite launch last month, North Korea proclaimed this week that they have successfully miniaturized a nuclear war head. While the claims remain unconfirmed, South Korean and US forces remain on high alert. Early morning on March 10 North Korea further violated UN bans by launching two missiles into the East Sea.
- Supernova‘s Yoon Sung-mo was arrested this week on charges of drunk driving. Not only was the singer caught driving while intoxicated, he also lead the police on a short chase before a police car crashed into him, injuring one officer.
- Google‘s Alpha Go Artificial Intelligence program beat professional Go player and legend Lee Se-dol in an internationally televised broadcast.
Comebacks & Debuts
- Seo In-guk is back with the sentimental single, “Seasons of the Heart“
- Lee Hi made her much anticipated return this week with Seoulite and the contrasting singles “Breathe” and “Hold Your Hand.” Excitingly, it was also revealed that Shinee‘s Jonghyun penned the lyrics for the emotional ballad, “Breathe.” Does this mean more YG/SM collaborations are in order?
- Fiestar came back strong this week with “Mirror” and their new album A Delicate Sense.
- Miss $ returned after a two year hiatus with “Don’t Speak Without Soul.”
- JJCC returned with the lively “ToDay.”
- Recently debuted Cosmic Girls released a new MV this week for “Catch Me.“
- UP10TION‘s Sun-youl and Gfriend‘s Yuju teamed up for the duet, “Cherish.”
- In a move that even took some SONEs by surprise, Yoona made her solo-ish debut through SM Station with the digital single “‘Deoksugung Stonewall Walkway” featuring 10cm.
Teasers & Announcements
- Though he’s been in the musical circuit for a while now, Shinee’s Key will make his official debut in a play later this spring in Save the Green Planet!
- With two members (Cathy and Chae-yeon) currently competing on Produce 101, MBK Entertainment announced the addition of a new DIA member, Chae-won in their place.
- Hyomin (T-ara) dropped yet another sensual teaser for her upcoming solo release “Sketch.”
- Trot vocalist Hong Jin-Young‘s new mini album Thumbs Up is expected to be released sometime this month.
- Eric Nam will be making his much anticipated return on March 24 with his new mini, Interview.
- Red Velvet will be back with the appropriately titled mini, The Velvet on March 16th. Keep an eye on their Instagram to catch all the teasers!
- Jessi‘s coming back again as a solo artist with “Excessive Love.” Judging by the teaser, we’re in for something much darker than “Ssenunni.”
- GOT7 will be holding the Fly concert series this coming summer. The tour will be making stops in South Korea, South East Asia and North America. Check the group’s official Twitter to see if they’ll be coming to a city near you!
- Astro‘s Jin Jin and One (under YG) will both be competing on Show Me the Money 5.
- L (Infinite) will be tackling his first leading role in the upcoming drama, The Blue of My Heart.
- AOA will be getting their own reality show, Channel AOA. The series will be broadcast jointly through Naver and the OnStyle television network.
- Secret‘s Hyosung announced her second mini album with a very floral image teaser/comeback schedule. Expect her new mini out on March 28!
- Following four pre-release tracks, VIXX‘s Ravi is still hyping his mixtape, R.ebirth. How are you liking the highlight medley he released on March 11?
- Winner will be halting their current promotions to participate in the new JTBC parenting variety show, Half-moon Friend.
- Comedienne Lee Guk-joo took to social media to apologize for her “inappropriate behavior.” Though she didn’t specify, netizens assumed the apology was for her inappropriate physical contact with male celebrities on broadcasts.
- Produce 101 and Mnet certainly had a noisy week in the media. First it was announced that Mnet plans to launch a male version of the popular survival show. Then it was also revealed that several of the unknown agencies with trainees on the show are actually unregistered entertainment companies. If that wasn’t enough already, the network also announced that they are once again changing the voting system for the remaining contestants. We knew it was going to be a hot mess from the beginning, and Mnet certainly is living up to the expectations — for better or worse.
- Girl’s Day‘s Hyeri was admitted to the hospital Saturday with meningitis. Wishing her a healthy recovery, with lots of resting time!
- Rapper Outsider will soon become a father! Congrats! His agency also said to expect a new album sometime in April.
- This week saw a couple great charitable contributions from celebrities: Yoo Jae-suk donated 50 million won worth of coal briquettes to charity, while actor Jang Guen-suk made 50 million won worth of charitable contributions to the Miral Welfare Foundation.
- Goo Hye-sun and Ahn Jae-hyun confirmed they are dating.
(Naver:                  , Nate:  , Sports Seoul, Joy News, Osen, YG Life:  . Images via SM Entertainment, Mnet, KCNA (North Korean Official News Agency))