Welcome back to another edition of Week in Review! Here’s your news:
- Koreans are preparing for Lunar New Year on Monday, with a five-day public holiday for the occasion. While many are journeying to their hometowns for celebrations, there is also a rising trend of Koreans booking holidays and travelling overseas as well.
- Exo‘s Lay has been injured during film shooting in China. Hopefully Lay will get the rest he needs, and feels better soon.
Comebacks & Debuts
- Your girl crush 4Minute is back with the Skrillex-produced “Hate” and mini-album Act. 7. You should buy it because [insert emotional blackmail here].
- Winner is finally back with Exit: E. Check out our reviews of “Sentimental” and “Baby Baby;” the “I’m Lonely” review is up next!
- SNSD‘s Taeyeon kicked off SM‘s new Station with “Rain.”
- Jung In has released “UUU.”
- Sonnet Son released “Ms. Burgundy.” Laboum‘s Yul-hee stars in the MV.
- Rapper Reddy dropped “Think,” which also features Jay Park.
- Yoo Seung-woo and Crucial Star teamed up for “Whatever.”
- Wassup‘s Nada has released her 1st mixtape.
- The JYJ members have been making their return to variety with Fruitful Trip. The show is straight-to-DVD, but is also being broadcast on Naver and V app by C-JeS Entertainment. Are you watching?
Teasers & Announcements
- My favourite 2012 rookie group Nu’est is making a Korean comeback! Their fourth mini-album Q is drops on the 17th.
- Mamamoo is gearing up for the release of first studio album, Melting, on the 26th.
- B.A.P update: the group has been teasing their upcoming mini-album, Carnival, which will drop on. Check out the album cover and image teasers released so far! There is also a video teaser up for B.A.P’s upcoming world tour, which kicks off in Seoul on the 20th.
- Rainbow has revealed the names for their new mini-album and title track: Prism and “Whoo” respectively. Check out more block-colour teasers like Jae-kyung‘s (above) here.
- Brave Girls will be making a comeback with five new members and track “Deepened.”
- As discussed last Sunday, f(x) now has a fandom name: MeU, or μ!
- Seventeen‘s vocal unit will be next to feature in Yoon Jong-shin‘s monthly project, with the Valentine-themed “Chocolate.”
- Real men will be airing a new female soldiers special. Confirmed guests include Fiestar‘s Cao Lu, After School‘s Nana, Lee Chae-young and Gong Hyun-joo.
- AOA‘s newest sub-unit, AOA Cream, is going the magical girl route with members Yuna, Hyejeong and Chanmi.
- Fantagio‘s new boy group Astro is expected to debut on the 23rd.
- Exo leader Suho‘s debut film One Way Trip (AKA Glory Day) is set for a March release. The film also stars Ji-soo (Sassy Go Go), Ryu Jun-yeol (Reply 1988) and Kim Hee-chan (The Producers)
- Crooner Dean is working on a new album!
- Block B is said to be preparing a comeback; and while March is being touted, Seven Seasons is yet to confrm a date.
- And finally, SM announced its highly ambitious new group, NCT. Read Erianne’s in-depth analysis here.
- February 4th saw South Korean high schools hold graduation ceremonies for their senior students. Idols graduating from Seoul School of Performing Arts got the most attention: Jiho of Oh My Girl, Yuju and Eunha of G-Friend, Eunjin and chaeyeon of DIA, Soojung of Lovelyz and DK of Seventeen.Congratulations to all the new graduates from all schools!
(Instagram, Korea Herald, Lonely Planet, My Daily, Naver, Osen, Sports Donga, Top Star News, TV Daily, Twitter. Images via: DSP Media, SM Entertainment, Cube Entertainment, TS Entertainment, FNC Entertainment)