So how’s your summer going? Is it hot? Or so not, that it’s left your summer cold? Either way, here’s some of the hot topics that hit the Korean entertainment scene the past week.
- One of Korea’s most beautiful women is officially off the market. After rumors of a September 2013 wedding began spreading, Lee Hyori made a statement on her official fan cafe that she and boyfriend of three years, Lee Sang-soon, are planning to be married sometime around September 2013. She didn’t make any announcement sooner because they hadn’t made any of the arrangements for the wedding yet and didn’t even officially meet with their families. Congratulations to Lee Hyori and Lee Sang-soon! U Go Girl. (xsportsnews)
- After being caught in a dating scandal through photos released through the media, actors Won Bin and Lee Na-young are confirmed to be officially dating. Apparently they got to know each other since 2011 when Lee Na-young came over to Won Bin’s agency Eden 9 and began to become serious within the last year. I’m going to have to say something’s definitely in the water in the ROK with all the dating and marriage news going on. (isplus.joins, chosun)
- Actress Han Hye-jin and soccer star Ki Sung-yong held their wedding ceremony on July 1st with family and friends at the Intercontinental Hotel. Ki Sung-yong had to return to England on July 6th to rejoin his club Swansea City. (hankooki, dtnews)
- Korea’s fastest rhymer, Outsider, has filed a law suit against his former agency Sniper Sound for discrepancies in his compensation for his music, activities and production work. He’s apparently contending that he wasn’t being compensated correctly and wasn’t given production credits for songs on MC Sniper‘s last album for which he had co-wrote a couple of songs. Sniper Sound has also filed a law suit against Outsider for joining another agency and to halt his current activities. (OSEN)
- MR.MR. return while “Waiting for You,” John Park sings about his “Baby,” actor Noh Min-woo‘s new band ICON, released their debut MV for Rockster, err… “Rockstar” many are saying that he’s channeling Japanese singer MIYAVI a bit too much and with the flying darumas, neko and Japanese art in the MV–it’s hard to deny a Japanese influence, 9to6 released “It’s You,” MYNAME made a comeback with “Baby I’m Sorry” and it’s big time MV for it starring actor Yoo Oh-sung (the baddie from Faith), MMA fighter Chu Sung-hoon and appearances from others including MMA fighter Kim Dong-hyun.
- Rania are prepared for the hot summer in the MV for their latest song “UP,” Davichi made an all kill with their comeback “Missing You Today. The MV stars Lee Da-hee who is currently co-starring in the hit K-drama I Hear Your Voice and call me pessimistic, but doesn’t it seem like the girls are mourning the same ex-boyfriend?
- Yoon Jong-shin remade one of his songs, “Reincarnation,” reggae style with the help of Kingston Rudieska a reggae band recommended to him by hoobae Jo Jung-chi, Dynamic Duo made their triumphant return with “BAAAM” featuring Muzie of UV.
- Standing Egg released the MV for “Miss Flower“ which is like a tourism video to travel to Korea, A Pink makes a comeback unprepared for summer? “NoNoNo,” Tony An made a solo comeback with the release of two MVs and Jewelry tries to make a break for it with their new MV “Hot&Cold” starring ZE:A‘s Hyung-sik.
- JYJ‘s Junsu released a special clip to promote his new solo album 11am, INFINITE predetermines the future with teasers for their “Destiny,” Super Junior released a teaser for their upcoming Japanese release “Hero” from their first Japanese album, Ailee relases a teaser for “U&I,” and Jay Park says that “I Like 2 Party.”
- LED Apple celebrated their 1000 day anniversary with a message to fans, and miss A celebrated their 3rd anniversary on July 1st.
- K-pop Star 2 finalists 2000 Won have been signed to Reve Entertainment which is mostly known for being made up of composers the like of Shinsadong Tiger and Choi Min-hyuk. Wonder kid Bang Ye-dam also has signed a contract with YG Entertainment and will undergo training. (Chosun, YG-LIFE)
- Making a debut this week in K-dramas were SBS‘ new Monday/Tuesday drama Empire of Gold, Moon Geun-young‘s new sageuk drama for MBC Goddess of Fire Jung-yi and KBS‘ new Wednesday/Thursday drama starring Uhm Tae-woong, Sword and Flower.
- Kim Hyun-joong was offered the lead role for Age of Feeling which had already been turned down by Lee Jun-ki and Kwon Sang-woo. The Wonder Girls‘ Sohee is set to star in KBS2’s Drama Special 2013 Rose Day.
- Kang Eui-sik released “For You Who Wants My Despair” which was used to highlight the cliffhanger in the latest episode of Monstar–ugh it just breaks my heart all over again, there was also a release of an MV for Color Bar‘s performance of “Don’t Make Me Cry,” SNSD‘s Jessica released “The One Like You” for the OST of Soo-young‘s drama Dating Agency: Cyrano, Na Yoon-kwon released “Countless Days” for the Shark OST and Jo Jung-suk released “I Love You So Much” for the You’re the Best Lee Soon-shin OST
Mnet was left with a hard decision to make regarding the airing of the final of its show Band Generation when one of the members of one of the bands was caught up in scandal. Lee Joo-hyun, the bassist for rock band Galaxy Express, was arrested on July 2nd for smoking marijuana. Galaxy Express, along with Daybreak and Romantic Punch were all in the finals for the show and Mnet was deciding if they should air the show or not after the arrest. In the end, Mnet decided that they will air the show on July 9th as scheduled, but will be editing out parts with Lee Joo-hyun. (MBN)