Week in Review: A Whole Lot of K-poppin’ Going On
It seems as if May will prove to be another big month for K-pop as there were tons of come backs and teasers of more to come–There was a whole lot of K-poppin’ going on. It seem like the girls are gonna take over the month of May with huge come backs from SECRET, Younha, T-ARA’s N4 and the Lee Hyori. As for the boys, there’s the forthcoming come back of a little groups you might have heard of… 2PM.
- PSY got the crowd rocking at Dodger Stadium with his “Gentleman“ly ways and showed support for Dodger rookie pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin who won the game. Psy also made an appearance at the Today Show kicking off their summer concert series.
- Bohemian‘s Yong-jin does a remake of the group’s song “Don’t Be Sick” with rookie singer Yoo Seong-eun, Korean garage rock band 24HRS released “tick tock tick tock,” Double K releases the MV for “Rewind” featuring K-pop Star‘s Lee Michelle, Younha makes her come back and released the MV for “The Real Reason Why We Broke Up,” Superstar K4‘s Yoo Seung-woo released the MV for his self composed song “You and I,” rookies UniBlenD release their first single “The Day We’ve Wanted,” SECRET returned to cute with “YooHoo,” Hello Venus asks if you “Want Some Tea,” popular K-hip hop duo Geeks released their full length album Back Pack and an MV for ” Wash Away” featuring Ailee, F.cuz released the PV for their latest Japanese release “Hello Again,” and U-KISS sub-unit uBEAT released the MV for “Should Have Treated You Better.”
- Don’t make the mistake of watching the drama MV for T-ARA‘s sub-unit T-ARA N4′s debut song because it’ll only leave you wondering “WTF did I just watch?” The dancing version MV is much more palatable and actually made me appreciate the song better. Don’t quite love it, but it’s definitely better now.
- December‘s DK (Han Dae-kyu) released the single and MV for “Going Home.” The MV is interspersed with video of DK recording alone in the studio and video of singing partner Yoon Hyuk‘s preparations for entering the military when he enlisted last year. DK will be entering his two years of service on May 7th.
- Vibe, made up of members Yoon Min-soo and Ryu Jae-hyun are making a comeback after three years. If you don’t quite know who Vibe is, their last big hit was back in 2006, you’ probably are familiar with Yoon Min-soo. He brought his name back into the limelight with his awesome performances on Immortal Song 2. Then he and his son, the adorable Yoon Hoo, joined the little K-variety that could Dad! Where Are We Going? which is currently the #1 Sunday K-variety show. Vibe released a teaser for their come back song “For The Last Time.”
- B1A4 released the single “Sunshine” for the OST of We Got Married-Global, and Yoseob and Dong-woon of BEAST join with Chang-sub and Il-hoon of BTOB for the song “Bye Bye Love” from the OST of When A Man Loves.
- 4MEN release a teaser for “Propose Song,” rookie quartet PHONE release a video for “Pick Up The Phone” which stars Seo In-guk, Seo In-young teased her come back with “Let’s Break Up,” Lee Hyori teased us of her come back with “Miss Korea” and through a video released by VOGUE Korea, and find out about UV‘s comeback on May 6th via this hilarious LOEN CSI (Coming Soon Interview).
- G-Dragon twisted his ankle (probably getting his “Crayon” or “Michi GO”) at his 1st concert in Osaka and was ordered to rest for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, he had two more concerts to go in Osaka, so Daesung came down from his own concert rehearsals to help out his hyung along with special guest Taeyang.
- SS501′s maknae Kim Hyung-jun announced that he will enlist in the military in 2014 after finishing up his current schedule which includes concerts in Japan and a couple of acting gigs.
- Gu Family Book kept it’s ranking as the top Monday/Tuesday drama with ratings of over 16% continuing to rise in viewership beating out other Monday/Tuesday dramas God of the Workplace and Jang Ok Jung.
- As for Wednnesday/Thursday, When A Man Loves continues to dominate with ratings of over 10%, followed by the new sageuk Mandate of Heaven just a point behind, and waaay back is All About My Romance.
- In a surprising turn of events MBLAQ‘s Seung-ho got eliminated from Dancing With the Stars Korea 3. It was a bit of a shocker as he and partner Son Jin-joo had been performing and scoring well on the show. I guess they just weren’t getting the audience votes.
- SBS’ new variety Barefoot Friends again had low ratings with the second episode doing worse than the first at 5.1%. The second episode was actually much better than the first showing the cast working hard to make money in Vietnam and actually walking in the footsteps of someone else’s life. I hope the show will get a chance to prove itself.
- Free Style’s Mino, who is currently a cast member on HaHa’s 19+ TV Mutiny will be getting married on July 7th to his non-celebrity girlfriend, actors Yoon Ji-min and Kwon Min will be married in July after dating for two years, actress Kim Ji-woo and popular chef Raymond Kim will be married on May 13th after meeting on the O’live reality show Kitchen Fighter last year, and Baek Ji-young and Jung Suk-won announced that they will be getting married on June 2nd!